This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can plugging in a USB device launch an app?
Hello all!

I am using my Tinker Board in my vehicle primary as an Android Auto (AA) conduit. To do this, I use an app called HeadUnit Reloaded (HUR). The app is awesome and works great to emulate an Android Auto head unit.

Everything was working fine on the latest build of Marshmallow, I plugged my phone in via USB and the app launched automatically and began displaying AA.

Now, I tried to update to the first build of Nougat but it was way too buggy and nothing I tried worked so I rolled back to Marshmallow. I decided to give the newest build of Nougat a try after seeing it land and while it is MUCH better as far as stability, it still doesn't work quite right with the HUR app.

When I plugged my phone in initially the Tinker Board asked me to set the default app to open when I plugged it in, which I set to HUR. The only problem is I still can't get HUR to open automatically when I plug my phone in. I get a notification in the status bar that asks me to click on it in order to open the default app, at which point HUR will open and AA will display as it should. I've attached a screenshot of what I see.

I'm trying to find out if there's a way to automate the default app opening when I plug my phone in without me having to open the notification drawer and click the notification every time I want to use HUR. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)