This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to reset Tinker Board S?
Hi, 

I'm working with Tinker Board S and I want to remove an iso. I have an error when i boot the device so i can't use the OS to reset. Unfortunately when I plug the device(in eMMC Recovery) with the computer (Windows 10), it doesn't recognize him. Does someone know how to reset the TBS in an other way? 

Thank you, 

Best Regards, 

Corentin Labbé.
(04-08-2019, 12:46 PM)Corentin Wrote: Hi, 

I'm working with Tinker Board S and I want to remove an iso. I have an error when i boot the device so i can't use the OS to reset. Unfortunately when I plug the device(in eMMC Recovery) with the computer (Windows 10), it doesn't recognize him. Does someone know how to reset the TBS in an other way? 

Thank you, 

Best Regards, 

Corentin Labbé.

Windows can't recognize any linux format.

Just install etcher and run etcher and install another iso image you like.

Etcher will format and install an iso.
Don't expect windows to see a linux formated partition.

When you run etcher, does it see your tinker eMMC?
My first iso (TinkerBoard-Ubuntu18.10-DomoticzServer_ELAR-Systems-SD (v1.0)) have been installed by etcher on windows 10. In attachement, a picture of my display when i boot the device. I know the problem is the difference between the Tinker Board and the Tinker Board S which can't run the same iso. 
I want to reset the device and retry the steps with etcher and my new iso. The problem is, when i'm in eMMC Recovery mode, my Tinker Board S is "Unknow" and not detected by etcher. The device is also not recognize on Ubuntu. 

Do you know how to reset in an other way?

Thanks,

Corentin.
(04-08-2019, 03:53 PM)Corentin Wrote: My first iso (TinkerBoard-Ubuntu18.10-DomoticzServer_ELAR-Systems-SD (v1.0)) have been installed by etcher on windows 10. In attachement, a picture of my display when i boot the device. I know the problem is the difference between the Tinker Board and the Tinker Board S which can't run the same iso. 
I want to reset the device and retry the steps with etcher and my new iso. The problem is, when i'm in eMMC Recovery mode, my Tinker Board S is "Unknow" and not detected by etcher. The device is also not recognize on Ubuntu. 

Do you know how to reset in an other way?

Thanks,

Corentin.

Try this procedure from Im4Tinker.

I've done this way, which is pretty quick.
The only problem is about the partition table which won't be consistent. So it might be better to install only the u-boot image. In such way the previous setup still available to use, and saving time to update the packages that where already done.
First step:
Have the previous installation copied onto as SD card, whichever is preferred
Boot from SD, following the indication to set the jumper to MASKROM
Locate the kernel name of the disk

Code:
$ sudo fdisk -l

For example we assume /dev/mmcblk0 for eMMC and /dev/mmcblk1 for SD card
Copy the u-boot from SD card to eMMC

Code:
$ sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=64 count=4032 conv=noerror,notrunc

This way will need to write less than 2 Mb, which suffices for most of the cases. Usually the u-boot is not bigger than 460 Kb. Also it prevent to upset the previous partition and they'll come back to be used again. The only advise is to use the same previous installation, whatever is TinkerOS, or Armbian or Volumio or else.
For convenience it might be good to save that portion into SD card, so if it will happen again, is less troubles to resume. Therefore the command become inverted for saving
Code:
$ sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=BackupFile.img bs=512 seek=64 count=4032 conv=noerror,notrunc
Then next time BackupFile.img will be used Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Smith's post:
  • Corentin
Hello Jay Smith, thanks for your answers. I decided to use a SD card in eMMC Recovery mode, and it's working. I can't use the default disable configuration or it will boot with the wrong OS. Gparted didn't work with me, if i find a solution i will share this here. Thank you.

Regards,

Corentin.
It mostly clear that you invade the u-boot space with gparted, as I did.
You should note that the first 4 Mb on the eMMC are dedicated to boot and handle the UMS function.

Furthermore is not necessary to prepare a partition scheme when using an image. The image uses a lower level than partitioning. Anything on the media will be modified.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
I didn't use gparted, because it was impossible to boot on my computer, but i didn't test directly with the card. Is there a possibility to erase my first image by the SD card interface?
Thank you.

Regards,

Corentin.
As you can boot the system by the SD installation, then you may use that to remake your eMMC setting. You may do it within the TBS or by plugging TBS to a PC, better if the PC is a linux box that it will show you the TB eMMC partitions and/or remake the partitioning or casting the new installation.
Thanks for your answers, I found a solution. 

I flashed an SD card with an iso, and tried it in eMMC Recovery mode(it was working well). After that, i plugged my TBS on my computer(which have been recognized) and formated the device. I flashed with the same iso again, and now it's working on the device on default disable mode without the SD card. 
Thank you Big Grin .

Regards, 

Corentin.
(04-16-2019, 09:11 AM)Corentin Wrote: and formated the device.
Pretty useless, the image redo the formatting.