This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gps module for google maps
Hi! I have a tinkerboard and i'm building a 3d printed case for my old jeep, someone can suggest me a gps module for navigation? Thank you!
Hi Alexdb,

might have a look here @ libgps

https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-671.html
Hi Alexdb,
I'm using this app for android GPS Tether https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...ther&hl=en
you won't need a module for this, in my experience the modules wont work if you don't fix the GPS library in android I try with no luck I use the usb gps GlobalSat ND-105C and the BU353 with out any luck.
I use the GPS Tether app for the last year with no issues.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DGO's post:
  • Duane
Easiest way for me was to get one of these GPS receivers:

Globalsat ND-105C

GlobalSat BU353S4 G-STAR IV

Ebay cheap version: Laptop GPS Receiver+ Antenna 4 Windows Linux Mac Android Tablet PC/ Car Yacht E1

You will also need to install an app called 'You Are Here GPS'. 
I don't think it's still on the Play store but the APK can be downloaded from many sites.

You also need to enable developer mode and set Mock Locations to You are Here GPS

This always worked well for me on many Android devices.
Thank you I appreciate your concern about this topic. Because these days google maps are very helpful for everybody. So I think it is great.
Another alternative is the UsbGps4Droid app available on GitHub which works very well with the Ublox 8 gps receiver and the TinkerBoard with Nougat. Search for "usb gps ublox" on Amazon to find it for about $25 US the picture of it shows a driver CD minidisk and receiver with usb cable. If you look into the GitHub site there are instructions from freshollie on how to modify the SystemUI.apk and add a shell command to make the GPS app automatically start up when the android device is powered up without requiring user mouse clicks to get it started. Be sure to follow the link in blue. I did these mods on kit kat for a map other than google maps and they worked as advertised. I will be doing the mods on my tinkerboard soon.