This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumper eMMC & micro SD storage
Hi friends!!
Recently I have the TinkerBoard "S" but I have a cuestions before starting.
1- You can explain each of the three positions of the eMMC jumper please??
Above all I see that the position "Maskrom Mode" matches with "eMMC recovery" and I don't know the position if I install the OS in the internal memory or in the micro SD
2- Can I install "Kali Linux" in the internal memory (16 GB) and use micro SD as storage?
3- When I install the OS is it in "permanent mode"?

Thnx u so much for your help and keep in touch!! ;o)
José CardeLL
1. https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index....t_Priority
2. No idea if there is usable/official Kali. Known to work is TinkerOS/Armbian/ArchLinux
3. What is permanent mode?
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
2. You may install anything on eMMC and use the SD in a different manner.
3. Both media are writable, so if you won't modify the eMMC you may keep it as OS media.

PS. Archlinux lacks wireless support, as it is not a mainlined issue.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Thnx 4 you response!! But, I can install the OS in the micro sd without canceling eMMC if I want to use it in the future ??
I bought the fanless case and if I open the box for modify the jumper eMMC I have to take off the heat sink from the motherboard.
Igorpec.. Kali Linux has a version "armhf" I think it's good to install on TinkerBoard
José CardeLL
You may chose the installation that you need, just modify the jumper with a switch which you should have it handy. In such order you are able to chance what media to boot from. Countless to say that it still possible to boot from the USB, too.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(05-14-2019, 07:03 AM)cardell Wrote: Igorpec.. Kali Linux has a version "armhf" I think it's good to install on TinkerBoard

I told you for the best possible option, you choose to go worse possible option. User space, scripts, "Kali Linux Light Armhf" what you find out there, is the cheap and not very relevant component. Once again Kali is (basically) Debian + "security" tools. You need to have a good boot loader and good kernel. Neither Kali neither Debian provide good pcs of that most relevant component for your Tinkerboard to boot and run scripts/tools called Kali.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
Thanks friends for your answers!
Just one more please!!
The "maskrom mode" position Cancel the internal memory to use the micro sd memory, But with the "power on" position it will be possible to use the micro sd memory and the internal eMMC memory without canceling it ??
Thnx and keep in touch!!
José CardeLL
Hi friends!!
I'm sorry but I still did not understand it.
I would like to know what is the jumper position to boot:
1: internal memory
2: micro SD (if there is nothing in the internal memory)
The jumper information to boot is extremely limited. I have contacted Asus, some say one thing and others say another, I think they have they dont know anything and this is incredible..
Thnx so much my friends!!
José CardeLL
check this~
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index....t_Priority

The maskrom(recovery) mode is means, "mask" the eMMC (on-board storage), so also means it would boot from SD card.

and also can try with this tool:
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/others/SBF/