This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External USB power supply ignored
Hi there,

I recently connected two rotating HDDs (2.5") to my Tinkerboard with a USB3<->SATA converter. As I had in mind that the current from the board could be running short I am using converters which have an own power supply (12V/2A, see here: Look for product id B01K22TZ3I on amazon de(!) - I cannot post links here yet, sorry).

So I am using two USB3 cables from the board to the converters now (nothing else plugged to the board) and plugged both power supplies in. But the power for the drives is not enough: They stop rotating every time they need more current (e.g. starting both hdds at the same time after sleep mode). The sounds make you uncomfortable.

I tested the same setup with my laptop. So far it looks good there. Maybe my laptop can deliver more current (which I do not believe - it was always a bit short on that in the past).

What can I do here? I thought as soon as I connect the two power supplies the tinkerboard has nothing to do with delivering current. Can I get it to work somehow?

Greetings from Germany!
Hello again,

I thought about it again and maybe I got a reason for the behavior:

Regarding the hdd labels each SATA power plug has to deliver 0.55A on the 12V lines and 0.7A on the 5V lines. And I have a bad fear that the converter power supply satisfies the 12V lines only. That means that 2x0.7A=1.4A are running thru USB.

I found out on another site that the Tinkerboard supports USB currents up to 1.2A. That means I have a chance if I put a powered USB hub between the board and the hdds. I'll try that as soon as I get one.
(05-11-2019, 04:06 PM)taraquedo Wrote: I found out on another site that the Tinkerboard supports USB currents up to 1.2A.

That would mean you have to get more than 3A over mUSB connector which is impossible.

But it is strange why you can't use hard drive since it's powered externally. Usually both, 5V and 12V, are powered, but if they are not, it's normal that it doesn't work. Tinkerboard can can't power them. That's for sure.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(05-11-2019, 05:04 PM)igorpec Wrote: That would mean you have to get more than 3A over mUSB connector which is impossible.
Find where I got the info from - was here on the board:
thread-585-post-2307.html#pid2307
Is there a source for reliable electric characteristics of the board? Maybe a datasheet? Would be interesting for the GPIOs also.

(05-11-2019, 05:04 PM)igorpec Wrote: But it is strange why you can't use hard drive since it's powered externally. Usually both, 5V and 12V, are powered, but if they are not, it's normal that it doesn't work. Tinkerboard can can't power them. That's for sure.
I first thought it maybe is a software problem as I am using an own kernel. I thought of some handshake protocols for getting more current. But then I tried armbian and saw the same issue. Hope a hub will help- I wanted to install one anyway. I'll report.
Quote:Find where I got the info from - was here on the board:
thread-585-post-2307.html#pid2307
Is there a source for reliable electric characteristics of the board? Maybe a datasheet? Would be interesting for the GPIOs also.

Peek board consumption goes over 2A. If you add 1.2A to the USB port (which is probably possible in theory in case board powering is done with proper connector) ... you come over 3A which is not possible to carry over with best possible cable/connector which contribute in a voltage drop due to ohm law. 5V at PSU can results in perhaps 4.5V at USB port. Perhaps less.

GPIOs can be loaded with 20-40mA IIRC and you can power via GPIO as well.

I hope you tried Armbian with modern kernel. That is very different, while legacy has more or less the same u-boot/kernel as stock.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
The USB can supply 250 mA each. Maximum 1.2 A in total of the four.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
external USB power supply ignored. the external USB power supply is helpful for High loaded electricity.