This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows show 2 disks - which one to burn image to?
Hi,

I've already OS on emmc. Now I'd like to flash newest image.
I've done all steps, have image file, connect Tinkerboard over USB and two disks show (one visible and small, and other bigger 14.61GB and not accessible by windows).

Which partition/disk is correct to flash (win32diskimager) ? 
Or should I do anything else ?

Can I check which image I have on board (it is probably one of linaro images for Tinkerboard).

Thanks,
regards,
Bulek.
You shouldn't refer to windows partition. The image is a lower level writing, so partitions are not taken in account.
The image must go to the entire disk, from sector zero to the maximum size of the image.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Hello,

thanks for response.

If I understand right, I should then erase both partitions to get to raw disk and then write image to whole disk ?
I won't break UMS in this way ?

Just to verify: is it normal to see those two partitions ?

Thanks,
regards,
bulek.
(05-16-2019, 06:12 AM)bulek Wrote: Hello,

thanks for response.

If I understand right, I should then erase both partitions to get to raw disk and then write image to whole disk ?

Thanks,
regards,
bulek.

Ignore what you see.
Install etcher and install the OS using etcher.
Etcher will format and set up everything.

(05-16-2019, 06:12 AM)bulek Wrote: Hello,

thanks for response.

Thanks,
regards,
bulek.

Ignore what you see.
Install etcher and install the OS using etcher.
Etcher will format and set up everything.

win32diskimager will do the same thing. I think etcher is easier. It's steps 1, 2, and 3.
Hello,

the problem is that one partition has disk letter and the other one not. And I can only select first or second partition, not both.
I'm using win32diskimager. Does etcher act differently ?

Thanks in advance,
regards,
Bulek.
(05-17-2019, 07:51 AM)bulek Wrote: Hello,

the problem is that one partition has disk letter and the other one not. And I can only select first or second partition, not both.
I'm using win32diskimager. Does etcher act differently?

Thanks in advance,
regards,
Bulek.

Windows can't see a Linux formatted partition.
It may be the smaller partition is formatted with fat32 and the other larger partition is formatted ext4.
Just ignore windows and install etcher.
I haven't used win32diskimager for a long time and I can't follow along with it.
I would stay with etcher and let it format and install.  
You have an eMMC so don't mess it up with win32imager and don't do a Windows format.

Etcher has 3 steps.
1 Select USB or eMMC.
2 Select OS image.
3 Flash