This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TinkerOS with Netflix, kodi, libreoffice
Hi,

Any chance for 2.05 version?
(03-12-2017, 11:27 AM)Mikerr Wrote: I've made my expanded image available on sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tinkerboard/

Nothing fancy, just TinkerOS 2.04 pre-installed with the following apps:

Kodi - media center (HW accelerated)
LibreOffice - office apps
Pinta - lightweight paint program
VLC - media player
VNC server

Sonic Pi - Music programming language
Minetest - minecraft-like game
Claws mail
Guvcview - webcam viewer
Geany - programmers editor

Netflix and hulu work in Chromium (thanks to https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-329.html)

Adobe Flash working in Chromium and firefox

Printer support added via CUPS and control-panel.
Airprint and google cloud print setup.

(tinker-config is now Asus's updated version)

Pi Camera utilities installed in  /home/tinkercam folder ( https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-724.html )

samba installed with home directory shared : //tinkerboard/home

tinkerOSplus-2.04.img.zip [1.8GB] - needs an 8GB card

Might help some get started quicker.

Hi Mike,

What is the password for CUPS administration?

linaro / linaro do not work..
Thumbs Up 
(03-12-2017, 11:27 AM)Mikerr Wrote: I've made my expanded image available on sourceforge:

*link*

VLC - media player
VNC server

Claws mail
Guvcview - webcam viewer

Netflix and hulu work in Chromium 

Pi Camera utilities installed in  /home/tinkercam folder 

*link* [1.8GB] - needs an 8GB card

First of all thx for your perfectly running TinkerOSplus. Works a charm!

However, I'd really appreciate your help with a couple of issues I've been having:

Is there a way to create a startup entry for kodi ? (saves having to connect mouse if only running kodi in that session)

I've tried connecting my Win10 Laptop as a network source for kodi. Unfortunately - after activating SMB in windows - kodi freezes up everytime I try to access the SMB / Workgroup. 

A little help, maybe? please.

(Would you recommend using dual or triple boot on a microSDXC with Tinker Board?)
(05-07-2018, 07:22 PM)ullo8 Wrote:

*link*

VLC - media player
VNC server

Claws mail
Guvcview - webcam viewer

However, I'd really appreciate your help with a couple of issues I've been having:

Is there a way to create a startup entry for kodi ? (saves having to connect mouse if only running kodi in that session)

I've tried connecting my Win10 Laptop as a network source for kodi. Unfortunately - after activating SMB in windows - kodi freezes up everytime I try to access the SMB / Workgroup. 

(Would you recommend using dual or triple boot on a microSDXC with Tinker Board?)

Are you asking to boot kodi at bootime so it will be running with no need for a mouse?
Edit /home/linaro/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and add @kodi
(05-08-2018, 01:33 AM)Jay Smith Wrote:

*link*

VLC - media player
VNC server

Claws mail
Guvcview - webcam viewer

Are you asking to boot kodi at bootime so it will be running with no need for a mouse?

Cheers! that did the trick. 

Still running into issues trying to use SMB though, Kodi keeps crashing.

at the moment its not a problem since I can just hook up my media directly to the Tinker, long-term I'd like to save the hassle and just like to access the shared media in my workgroup.

Or is there an easier way than using SMB?
(05-09-2018, 07:17 PM)ullo8 Wrote:

*link*

VLC - media player
VNC server

Claws mail
Guvcview - webcam viewer

at the moment its not a problem since I can just hook up my media directly to the Tinker, long-term I'd like to save the hassle and just like to access the shared media in my workgroup.

Kodi crashing?
What microSD you using?
Use a 5v 3A power supply with a short thick cable.
I bootup on a sandisk microSD and boot from a sandisk USB.  The little button one.  It doesn't get hot like the thumb drives.

I am thinking that the USB Drives are more stable than MicroSD.  I could be wrong but for now I have no freezes or reboots.

SMB?
I have used Smb for a long time and it works very good. I stream 1080p movies to the big tv with no problem.
I don't know how to make the smb shares to auto load and log in when the desktop logs in. I would like to know how to do that one too.
(05-09-2018, 07:40 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:

*link*

VLC - media player
VNC server

Claws mail
Guvcview - webcam viewer

Kodi crashing?
What microSD you using?
I bootup on a sandisk microSD and boot from a sandisk USB.  The little button one.  It doesn't get hot like the thumb drives.

I am thinking that the USB Drives are more stable than MicroSD.  I could be wrong but for now I have no freezes or reboots.

SMB?
I have used Smb for a long time and it works very good.  I stream 1080p movies to the big tv with no problem.
I don't know how to make the smb shares to auto load and log in when the desktop logs in.  I would like to know how to do that one too.

I'm using a Samsung EVO 64GB. Got a HomeBOX 5V 3A with a 30cm cable for raspi. 

It doesn't run hot or anything and I can simply close Kodi when it freezes up via Task-Manager and restart Kodi with no issues at all.

But when I try to connect to my Shared Folder on Win10 via SMB Kodi freezes / crashes everytime.

What SMB settings are you using? do you stream from a PC or NAS directly to the tinker Board? Or is your TV connected to the Tinker via SMB? 

I've had no issues accessing the Tinker from Win10 PC and the other way round. Just Kodi won't comply. 

When I was running Kodi on my old Win7 Machine adding a smb network source and having it auto-monitored by Kodi worked really well.

Is there anything I'm missing? (SMB 1.0 etc already activated in win features.)
(05-09-2018, 10:20 PM)ullo8 Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 07:40 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 07:22 PM)ullo8 Wrote: First of all thx for your perfectly running TinkerOSplus. Works a charm!

Kodi crashing?
What microSD you using?

SMB?
I have used Smb for a long time and it works very good.  I stream 1080p movies to the big tv with no problem.
I don't know how to make the smb shares to auto load and log in when the desktop logs in.  I would like to know how to do that one too.

I'm using a Samsung EVO 64GB. Got a HomeBOX 5V 3A with a 30cm cable for raspi. 

It doesn't run hot or anything and I can simply close Kodi when it freezes up via Task-Manager and restart Kodi with no issues at all.

But when I try to connect to my Shared Folder on Win10 via SMB Kodi freezes / crashes everytime.

What SMB settings are you using? do you stream from a PC or NAS directly to the tinker Board? Or is your TV connected to the Tinker via SMB? 

I've had no issues accessing the Tinker from Win10 PC and the other way round. Just Kodi won't comply. 

When I was running Kodi on my old Win7 Machine adding a smb network source and having it auto-monitored by Kodi worked really well.

Is there anything I'm missing? (SMB 1.0 etc already activated in win features.)

Oh man, it's more complicated.
I use simple shares, nothing major.
Bringing kodi to a windows with smb shares is tuff. Kodi is a huge media player.
I use smb on Tinkerboard and my main desktop runing linux.
I had problems with windows 10 on another desktop dualbooting with linux/windows.
That would take more research to solve which I wasn't interested in. 
If I needed smb on windows 10, I would try to make it work.

I ran movie files on my linux box using smb/kodi on the tinkerbox. No lock ups.
Windows 10 can be a problem. I try hard to get rid of it. I like to be free from that OS.

Wait for more replies.
Just installed this version on my board. The configuration for Monitor shows only Auto and 1280X720, and they seem to be the same. My monitor can't handle well this setting as the extreme edges of the screen are trimmed. Can this be fixed in this version or I need to use the official version at the Asus site?? Thanks.
Bump! Any plans to update to the latest version? Thanks!