This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kernel Headers Tinker Board S for 2.0.10
Hello All,

I am very new to the Tinker Board S, and if this has been asked or pointed out elsewhere, please excuse this noob.
I have an application I need to build that needs the kernel headers.
I am using 20190515-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.10.
For the raspberry Pi, this was easy, just an "sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers", and I was in business.
How/where do I get these for the Tinker Board S?
I have seen reference on getting them for the Tinker Board, but no mention of the S.
Is it the same as far as the kernel / headers are concerned? Using the same for both S and original?

Again, I appreciate your inputs, and hope you understand this "noob"..... 

Thanks in advance,
John
(06-07-2019, 02:34 AM)jshenry1963 Wrote: Hello All,

I am very new to the Tinker Board S, and if this has been asked or pointed out elsewhere, please excuse this noob.
For the raspberry Pi, this was easy, just an "sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers", and I was in business.
I have seen reference on getting them for the Tinker Board, but no mention of the S.
Is it the same as far as the kernel / headers are concerned? Using the same for both S and original?

Thanks in advance,
John

www.armbian.com -> download image -> armbian-config -> software -> install kernel headers
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(06-07-2019, 11:02 AM)igorpec Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 02:34 AM)jshenry1963 Wrote: Hello All,

Thanks in advance,
John

www.armbian.com -> download image -> armbian-config -> software -> install kernel headers

Thank you very much for the reply.
I am currently running I am using 20190515-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.10, can I use the headers you indicated?
Again, new to the Tinker Board S. Have done quite a bit with various Raspberry Pi's and Arduino's though.
If I can't use this header with the V2.0.10 official release, then...
1 - where do I get headers compatible with V2.0.10
or
2 - if I need to go with the armbian, what is the difference between Stretch and Bionic? And yes, I did read the FAQ on this question, just curious of others impressions for using it for high performance. LOTS of calculations and data to be moved.
I do prefer having a desktop for demonstrations I will give. I can boot to cli only when performance is necessary.
Evaluating to see if this really gives performance improvements when compared to the Pi 3 B+ for my particular application.

Again, thanks so much for the response, and if I ask too much, let me know.

Thanks
John
(06-07-2019, 12:00 PM)jshenry1963 Wrote: I am currently running I am using 20190515-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.10, can I use the headers you indicated?

No.

(06-07-2019, 12:00 PM)jshenry1963 Wrote: 2 - if I need to go with the armbian, what is the difference between Stretch and Bionic? And yes, I did read the FAQ on this question, just curious of others impressions for using it for high performance. LOTS of calculations and data to be moved.

Stretch = Debian based user land (the same base as stock image as its indicated in the name -linaro-stretch-alip-)
Bionic = Ubuntu based

Kernel and boot loader are the same in both and in a better shape than stock. In some very specific cases having two user land flavours becomes important. Some applications (such as OMV) runs native only on one. If you ask this, then it is probably not relevant for your use case.

Armbian is an upgrade in term of support but ofc there is a room for improvement. Bugs can show up as well. Just not that many and they are usually fixed faster, update come standard way. Armbian provide stock kernel, 4.19.y and 5.1.y which you can switch to without creating new image ... overlays, Docker OOB, build engine, ...

(06-07-2019, 12:00 PM)jshenry1963 Wrote: I do prefer having a desktop for demonstrations I will give. I can boot to cli only when performance is necessary.
Evaluating to see if this really gives performance improvements when compared to the Pi 3 B+ for my particular application.

Switching between desktop and CLI can also be done from armbian-config. It is fast, instant.

(06-07-2019, 12:00 PM)jshenry1963 Wrote: Again, thanks so much for the response, and if I ask too much, let me know.

Check docs.armbian.com - many answers you can find by scanning it.
Igorpec,

Thank you very much for your answers.
I will try armbian and see how it works.
I just created the TBS image with the official 2.0.10 so I have not customized or added a lot to it yet for my application, so it is not a big deal to switch to something else just for grins, and since armbian is up the stock kernel 4.19.y and 5.1.x, the kernel should also have the fixes in it that were broke for my application in versions 4.19.41 to 4.19.46. 

Again, Thanks,
John
(06-08-2019, 11:31 AM)jshenry1963 Wrote: and since armbian is up the stock kernel 4.19.y and 5.1.x, the kernel should also have the fixes in it that were broke for my application in versions 4.19.41 to 4.19.46.

If your specifics are so detailed, we also provide automated daily builds which are fully up to date with upstream. But the risk is yours - nobody tests automated builds. Worse case scenario upgrading might result in bricked board which then needs manual recovery.

armbian-config -> system -> switch to nightly automated build
(06-08-2019, 12:53 PM)igorpec Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 11:31 AM)jshenry1963 Wrote: and since armbian is up the stock kernel 4.19.y and 5.1.x, the kernel should also have the fixes in it that were broke for my application in versions 4.19.41 to 4.19.46.

If your specifics are so detailed, we also provide automated daily builds which are fully up to date with upstream. But the risk is yours - nobody tests automated builds. Worse case scenario upgrading might result in bricked board which then needs manual recovery.

armbian-config -> system -> switch to nightly automated build

Thanks for the inputs Igorspec, It really isn't that my requirements are specific, it is that the kernel guys removed an item from one of the usb interfaces that one of the libraries that I use requires. It was added back in a later version though of the kernel. I also personally prefer to use a known/stable as possible release, that way I'm chasing my bugs, not the libraries or kernel I'm building with. So, daily builds, at least for this project, aren't really what I would want, but it is good to know that there is a way to get them if I ever do need something that is updated or corrected and not ready in the official stable release yet.

Anyway, I'm loading up one of my TBS's with armbian and will see how it works.

Thanks
John

As I stated, I'll see how armbian works, but, my original question still remains though, regarding the asus provided 20190515-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.10, where can one get the official kernel headers it used so that I can build my application against those headers.

It is a piece of cake with the raspberry pi, they are just a "get" . namely "sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers"

If I need to ask that in a different forum, please let me know.

Thanks
John

Another note, I did see in one other question thread where kupro asked for the headers also. But at the time the latest was at 2.0.8.
Since I'm running 2.0.10, are the 2.0.8 headers ok to use?

It was answered by user "Tinker Board", super moderator.
I followed the link provided:
https://github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel
But github still shows the latest to be 2.0.8, not 2.0.10, that is why I'm wondering if using 2.0.8 source / headers is ok or not.
I also checked:
https://github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel/releases
And it shows 2.0.8.... not 2.0.9 or 2.0.10....

Should I just go ahead and reprogram my eMMC with 2.0.8? then the headers are easy to get to? 

If 2.0.10 headers are available somewhere, where can I find them?

Thanks for any help in advance,
John
> I'm loading up one of my TBS's with armbian and will see how it works.

Good. If you need anything - forum.armbian.com

Those are bug fixes on top of official kernel:
https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/ma...ip-default
and those are on top of mainline source:
https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/ma...kchip-next

User space is also fixed a lot but still remain clean Debian/Ubuntu. Just with less bugs.

In case you will stick to official builds, you need to lower your expectations.
Reposting, since the quick replies might get lost.
As I stated, I'll see how armbian works, but, my original question still remains though, regarding the asus provided 20190515-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.10, where can one get the official kernel headers it used so that I can build my application against those headers.

It is a piece of cake with the raspberry pi, they are just a "get" . namely "sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers" 

If I need to ask that in a different forum, please let me know.

I did see in one other question thread where kupro asked for the headers also. But at the time the latest was at 2.0.8.

It was answered by user "Tinker Board", super moderator.
I followed the link provided:
https://github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel
But github still shows the latest to be 2.0.8, not 2.0.10, that is why I'm wondering if using 2.0.8 source / headers is ok or not. And if not, again, where are the headers for 2.0.10?
I also checked:
https://github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel/releases
And it shows 2.0.8.... not 2.0.9 or 2.0.10....

Should I just go ahead and reprogram my eMMC with 2.0.8? then the headers are easy to get to? 

If 2.0.10 headers are available somewhere, where can I find them?

Sorry to keep harping on this, but I really want to use the 2.0.10, if at all possible, still going to look at armbian, just for grins.

Thanks for any help in advance,
John
> It is a piece of cake with the raspberry pi, they are just a "get"

Tinkerboard (*board) is not a Raspberry Pi, where "official" Linux is well supported by waste community.

Good luck.