This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound via JACK sound server
Hi,
Giving up RPI3 (and now 4) due to the lack of longterm reliable SD-memory I have turned to Tinker-S for my SuperCollider(SC) labs.
SC need to send its generated audio to the soundCard via JACK sound server(realtime-mode), PulseAudio is NOT an option here (BIG latency sometimes).

I have started digging into the sound-setup in Tinker-S but is totaly confused by finding find 5 listed outputs when running pavucontrol.
....And only 1 physical 3.5 jack* (stereo out + mic (mono))
Can anyone help me to sort this out?

Big Bonus Help would of course be how to shift from PulseAudio to JACK (v2)     Smile

BR!
It is my feeling that you should address your audio to the direct /dev/snd/* thingy. But I think it will need to go via HDMI and then a hardware converter to get the stereo out from there.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Thanks for input!!!
So the 3.5 jack audio output is NOT an signal "clone" of the HDMI-signal?
Is there ANY place that I can read how the sound hardware/software is configured on Tinker S?
BR!
Well, you shouldn't take my words for granted. I just supposed that way, but is promptly to prove it by fiddling a bit with the /dev/snd/* and see what is coming out from the TVset.
Anyway, it might be possible to try with the headset to fiddle over the jack output, but I think it's just mono as it is the contact for the audio on the jack.

Sorry I don't use TB plugged on a TVset, so I'm rather useless to give further inputs.
3.5 jack audio output is NOT an signal "clone" of the HDMI-signal? it is a proper clone of HDMI Signal. where the heck did you read that from.?
HDMI is digital an the jack is analog. But I didn't experiment whether they lead to the same piece of software.
I started my way to manage the audio output, so I'm struggling to get things working.
I've Armbian installed and I manage to set pulseaudio to deal the access to the hardware, so any user will have the permission.
Now the troubleshooting, I plugged a headset to the audio jack, no audio is coming from the jack Cry

I presume the switch to detect the plug insertion might be failing, but I don't know where this may be reported.
Alsamixer shows the pulseaudio device, only with the volume full.
I read /etc/asound.conf and indeed there's no card addressed to the jack audio. Also in the schematics remains an enigma where those wiring from the jack audio are going to.

Has anybody of you played anything by the audio jack?

EDIT
I found  the solution...
For my own use I think I might leave pulseaudio alone and use aplay like this
Code:
sudo aplay -D plughw:1,2 <audio_file>
The sound is pretty low on a headset, but I might check what is the allowed power that goes across the plug. I doubt will be no higher that few hundredth of a Watt.
BTW
This works with Armbian-5.90

EDIT2
I found  the solution for the permission to aplay, the user should be subscribed to the audio group. Therefore  sudo is not required Wink