This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDMI CEC support?
So small.... For me It's too difficult I think, but familiar main board service could do. I wonder why ASUS did not do that if it's so "easy".
Are there any problems? Eg:
1) You loose warranty
2) Every kernel update needs recompiling cec driver

How KODI (to be exact Pulse-Eight plug-in) supports CEC if not /dev/cec?
What would happen if I put resistor, transistor and diodes in their places? There is also one unused space - just to the left of the bottom yellow arrow on You picture. Should there also be there? I wonder if restoring whole CEC circuit is possible, and why ASUS decided to abandon it.
(05-01-2017, 05:37 PM)Rupert_s Wrote: So small.... For me It's too difficult I think, but familiar main board service could do.  
Resistor size R0805 and SOT23 package is doable if you have some sort of practice and ESD safe solder station...
(05-01-2017, 05:37 PM)Rupert_s Wrote: I wonder why ASUS did not do that if it's so "easy".
No one has.
(05-01-2017, 05:37 PM)Rupert_s Wrote: Are there any problems?
I asked ASUS support to give me explanation about HW CEC and ask for full schema (and kernel sources for TinkerOS 1.8) but no response. UPDATE: Full schema is refused to be published due to intellectual property, kernel is on GIT, HW CEC problem/solution without answer.
(05-01-2017, 05:37 PM)Rupert_s Wrote: 1) You loose warranty
Probably yes .... but it is tinker board I suppose that ASUS should accept this Big Grin
(05-01-2017, 05:37 PM)Rupert_s Wrote: 2) Every kernel update needs recompiling cec driver
How KODI (to be exact Pulse-Eight plug-in) supports CEC if not /dev/cec?
It is complicated "old" /dev/cec is now /dev/aocec and new CEC API is /dev/cec#. I do not known what is supported (I do not use KODI). I think that will be resolved with kernel 4.13 (September 2017).
(05-01-2017, 06:52 PM)Rupert_s Wrote: What would happen if I put resistor, transistor and diodes in their places? There is also one unused space - just to the left of the bottom yellow arrow on You picture. Should there also be there? I wonder if restoring whole CEC circuit is possible, and why ASUS decided to abandon it.
Be minimalistic. It works without ESD diodes (yes, it is lowering product longevity and yes, it is increasing probability of failure). It is unknown (without full schema) where the second resistor is routed. I have idea that is routed to secondary CEC pin GPIO7_C7 because ASUS probably think that GPIO7_C0 (weird marking EDPHDMI_CEC_T1) is output port and GPIO7_C7 input port. This is not true other TRM docs says "edphdmi_cecinoutt1" (and GRF_SOC_CON8/BIT(12) "grf_hdmi_cec_mux_sel" must be set). This corresponds to ASUS answer to you.
I left this community in Aug 2017 due to ASUS bad product quality and ASUS community support that did not match my expectation.  Sad
Reference schema from RockChip is included in wiki (ASUS schema with "intellectual property" has some deviations (for example 2 diodes to hdmi-vcc instead one on I2C/DDC (chip "L42" (BAT54A)).

[Image: rk3288-hdmi-reference-schema.png]
I left this community in Aug 2017 due to ASUS bad product quality and ASUS community support that did not match my expectation.  Sad
(05-16-2017, 06:55 AM)mcerveny Wrote: Reference schema from RockChip is included in wiki (ASUS schema with "intellectual property" has some deviations (for example 2 diodes to hdmi-vcc instead one on I2C/DDC (chip "L42" (BAT54A)).

[Image: rk3288-hdmi-reference-schema.png]

All this work is incredible. If you could post a tutorial on what to solder where with pictures that would be great. I have some extra transistors and resistors and possibly diodes laying around so I would be here to test it.
+1
An idiots guide on what to buy and where to solder it would be greatly appreciated!
Seems ASUS has integrated this or similar fix into the new model TinkerBoard S

https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-924.html
Typical! Days after I buy one there’s an update.
Oh well, I really like it so the one I have can be dedicated to being a fish tank controller and I’ll get a new one as a TV media device (especially as it has HDMI CEC!).
since the tinker s is now HDMI-CEC ready, I bought one.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to use this feature.
Has anyone succeeded in this function?

Unfortunately, the ASUS support does not answer, with the reason that it is an open source project.

Many Thanks
same here,

if anyone knows how to enable HDMI CEC on the Tinkerboard S, please let us know.
What kernel patches and kernel configs are needed ?

Thanks in advance!