This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TB Not booting after kernel recompiling
Question 
Hello.

Since monday i'm trying to recompile the Debian Kernel in order to add a boot logo.
As described in the Wiki i have followed these steps.

Obtained the last kernel version at:
github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel.git

Builded and installed the image using the following commands:
> make miniarm-rk3288_defconfig ARCH=arm -j16
> make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j16
> make modules ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j16 CFLAGS_MODULE=-Wno-misleading-indentation

> make rk3288-miniarm.dtb ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j16
> make dtbs ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j16

> sudo make ARCH=arm INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/media/users/sdx2 modules_install

I have added the CFLAGS_MODULE as described in the Wiki since i have a gcc 6.3.0

Copied the file 'zImage', 'rk3288-miniarm.dtb'.

Here is the problem:
When i turn on the TinkerBoard the display (connected via HDMI) doesn't show anything.

I hanven't made nothing different.
Am I missing something?

Thank you.
Better start here https://github.com/armbian/build It works, but you need a PC.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(07-11-2019, 06:52 PM)igorpec Wrote: Better start here ... It works, but you need a PC.

Thank for the suggestion.
I am considering to switch to Armbian which seems to work well.

By the way i have a question:
In order recompile the kernel (for Armbian) where can i download the source file?

I have read that this OS is based on kernel mainline.
This means that the following suorce is ok for the system?
Code:
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/?h=v4.4.176

NOTE: If i understand correctly this is the kernel version used to build Armbian_Stretch_Desktop.
As specified here: 
Code:
tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Software#Armbian

Thank you.
(07-11-2019, 06:52 PM)igorpec Wrote: Better start here https://github.com/armbian/build It works, but you need a PC.
How does it compile on a PC, if we cannot set the cross-compile bits?

I came across this issue too, regarding the gpiomem, but I didn't find all the things to compile. A part to use a different distro and do it over a desktop PC.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
> If i understand correctly this is the kernel version used to build Armbian

Negative. Default kernel is private TinkerOS/Rockchip fork ... we are here the same / close to stock kernel.
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/ma...nf#L23-L25

When you choose NEXT (4.19.y) or DEV (5.1.y) kernel, those are attached to mainline sources with certain patches to gain some functionality that is not present in a mainline kernel.

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/ma...nf#L32-L43

> In order recompile the kernel (for Armbian) where can i download the source file?

If you use our build script, this is done automatically. Manual compilation (git clone & make) is not recommended. Only if you know exactly what you are doing, otherwise you might waste some time ... and even then, you will miss some of the important parts found in those patches:
https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/ma...kchip-next
or added out of source drivers
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/ma...prepare.sh

> How does it compile on a PC, if we cannot set the cross-compile bits?

I don't understand what you need to set specifically? Things works out of the box.
(07-13-2019, 08:01 AM)igorpec Wrote: I don't understand what you need to set specifically? Things works out of the box.

Following the github instructions and proceed to launch the build script, it will end up with a couple of errors. The script is definitely addressed to compile nothing but the TB.
(07-13-2019, 11:34 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(07-13-2019, 08:01 AM)igorpec Wrote: I don't understand what you need to set specifically? Things works out of the box.

Following the github instructions and proceed to launch the build script, it will end up with a couple of errors. The script is definitely addressed to compile nothing but the TB.

Build script is 100% working and it is used every day by many people. What kind of errors do you get?
@Igor

Code:
myself@AsusG75-tmp> cd build
myself@AsusG75-build> ./compile.sh
[ o.k. ] Using config file [ config-default.conf ]
[ warn ] This script requires root privileges, trying to use sudo
[ o.k. ] Using config file [ config-default.conf ]
[ o.k. ] This script will try to update
Already up to date.
Already on 'master'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.
[ o.k. ] Preparing [ host ]
[ .... ] Installing package [ lsb-release ]
/tmp/build/lib/general.sh: line 567: apt: command not found
[ o.k. ] Build host OS release [ n/a ]
[ error ] ERROR in function prepare_host [ general.sh:594 ]
[ error ] It seems you ignore documentation and run an unsupported build system: n/a
[ o.k. ] Process terminated
Guess what?
I'm not using a Debian-derived Tongue
This means you were not following instructions which is evident from the error message:

"It seems you ignore documentation and run an unsupported build system"

In case you don't user Ubuntu 18.04 it will not work unless you build under Docker

./compile.sh docker

- you need to install docker prior to that
- in case you want to build images, you need to run it with su
@Igor, well I don't blame anything, I knew that I'm not using the expected conditions.
I was, probably, misunderstanding that any PC will compile. But, in conclusion, the PC need to have a debian (or derived) or working in a virtual environment (docker, VB, qemu, vmware) with the same first condition.