This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Stopped Working After A Few Uses
I have a motor with nothing connected to it.  The motor is cheap and was probably not made very well.  During testing I ran the motor for 1 minute or less, then the next time it ran for a half second, then the next time it ran for a quarter of a second, and now it does not run at all.  I switched out the motor and confirmed that a different motor with different wires works with the rest of the hardware.

The motor seemed to "slowly get tired and die" but I don't think that is possible, especially after such a short life. 
1) What happened to the motor?
2) Did the + and - wires connected to it touch and kill the motor forever?
3) Can I fix the motor and reuse it in a later project?
What has to do your motor in a tinker board forum ?
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Smile 
(07-12-2019, 04:03 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: What has to do your motor in a tinker board forum ?

omg now no one else is going to answer!  lol Big Grin

The motor is connected to the board so I wanted to know if the board is burning out the motor or something.

@im4tinker if you have a better idea of a forum to ask this question, I will definitely move it there.

(07-12-2019, 04:03 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: What has to do your motor in a tinker board forum ?

if you know a better forum for me to ask this question than I willl ask there instead, I thought this was the right place to ask.
Presumably an electronics forum.
Anyways the power you may take from the GPIO, is about 12 mA x 3.3 V = 40 mW (at its best). Better you show some picture of your wiring and details about the motor.
I wish you still have the GPIOs in a working conditions, because they weren't designed to drive inductive load, I presume.
You need to have the GPIO drive a larger transistor or a MOSFET that can handle the power and also you need a freewheeling (flyback) diode. Google around and you will find a schematic. Hopefully you didn't fry the IO.
In some of my posts there are discussions about to drive a fan, so it might be the closest condition applicable here.
yeah that was it, thanks, I just needed a new power source. It seems obvious and usually I do use an external power source, but I thought on this project I could skip that because the motor is small but I was wrong. Anyway, thanks again