This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with resolution (Bad Size)
Updated this with most recent info:

Trying to get a 7" touch screen to work with my tinker (it looks like a waveshare imitation, didn't realize this was going to be a problem until after I ordered it, its 800X480). Im not really sure why, but with android version 6 (the .img with the play store already installed available on these forums) seemed to work ok when android boots. But the system itself had a lot of bugs, so for this reason I am trying to get version 7 to run. I should mention most of these bugs in version 6 seem to relate to the screen, and fiddling with the build.prop file and the screen settings helps somewhat, but i need this to be really stable, so currently its too buggy for its intended use. There is also a lot of added features in the version 7 kernel that I need.

So after updating to the latest image offered on here, (and all other nougat images available for this board) I'm struggling to get the display to work, its a black screen after the boot logo. It just says no signal. While connecting it to another display works fine, this is my main computer display that supports 1080p natively. I've tried setting the resolution in the android control panel to other resolutions (its set to auto, an option not available in Marsh mellow) no change.

I can connect to it via adb. Originally using adb i couldn't change the resolution, though i realize this was a problem on my end. All the same, this does nothing. I've read somewhere about how this monitor may not be able to communicate properly, not sure if this is the case. But the no signal problem seems like it isn't even receiving the system resolution messages, like its not even connected, rather than being out of sync.

Any idea what was different between version 6 and 7? Any idea if there is something I need to change in the build.prop? I have already tried changing the resolution and density, in build.prop, and using the android control panel and another screen, this does not seem to make a difference, wm size still says its 1080p (which also happened in version 6 but still seemed to work). Sort of out of idea outside of ordering a new screen, was hoping to avoid that.

Thanks for any help on the issue.
(08-07-2019, 04:52 PM)mace0 Wrote: Hi. Trying to get a 7" touch screen to work with my tinker (it looks like a waveshare imitation, didn't realize this was going to be a problem until after i ordered it). Im not really sure why, but with android version 6 (the .img with the play store already installed available on these forums) seemed to work ok in regards to the touch screen. But the system itself had a lot of bugs, so decided to upgrade to the latest version>

Updated to the latest image offered on here, and I'm struggling to get the display to work, its a black screen after the boot logo.

I can connect to it via adb, but it just keeps on saying bad size when i try to set the resolution as 800X480 (smaller resolutions work, but don't fit in the screen, the picture is too big). Any idea what was different between the version 6 and 7 on here were? Is there a way to set the resolution manually, not sure why it detects the display as 1080p (physical size).

Another thing with the previous version, the touch driver would stop working after a couple of minutes, which is better than what is happening now, but still. Any ideas there?

Thanks for any help on the issue.

Hi, So the standard resolution of this screen is 800x480 ? If yes and also you can see the content, maybe you can try to adjust the "Smallest width" option under the settings --> Developer options
Hi, thanks for your reply, I will have to look in to that, but if i could get the screen working on Nougat, i wouldn't have this problem. As for Marshmellow, any problems i had were fixed by lowering the resolution. Interestingly, i looked at any obvious differences i could find on both v6 and v7, all the display settings were the same, so not sure what the problem is. Have asked the moderator on here and another user that uploads the images if they have any idea of what differences there are between the two. If they get back to me I will be sure to post them
You might get better help in the hardware section. According to the wiki only the 7 inch Raspberry PI display is compatible.