This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thunderbird on Tinker board S
New at this: having a stubborn problem getting Thunderbird installed and running.

1. Using apt, I downloaded and installed thunderbird.  No reported errors.

2. It appeared on the Preferences tab, as expected.

3. Clicked on it, and a circular icon appeared, with a little whirling arrow--which just stopped.  No sign that thunderbird actually started.

My first assumption is that there is something else necessary to complete the installation--possibly missing libraries, perhaps an outdated version downloaded.

However, it may be that I am just missing something obvious in getting it to load, or failing to get it configured.

I'd be grateful for any hints, particularly with normal procedures for installing and configuring a package that isn't immediately obvious.

Thanks.
Anyone out there who has successfully installed Thunderbird, I'd like to hear from you.

ls
You may try to launch it from a console and see whether it is spitting out some error.
But I can't imaging why using such bloatware to read emails Big Grin
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(08-24-2019, 01:51 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: You may try to launch it from a console and see whether it is spitting out some error.
But I can't imaging why using such bloatware to read emails Big Grin

Thanks.  This seemed like reasonable bloatware, since it is littered across a lot of platforms I use every day.  I'm surely up to try something else: got a suggestion?

-ls
As a python fan, I'd suggest Claws_mail.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(08-23-2019, 12:41 AM)lsearle Wrote: New at this: having a stubborn problem getting Thunderbird installed and running.

1. Using apt, I downloaded and installed thunderbird.  No reported errors.

2. It appeared on the Preferences tab, as expected.

3. Clicked on it, and a circular icon appeared, with a little whirling arrow--which just stopped.  No sign that thunderbird actually started.

My first assumption is that there is something else necessary to complete the installation--possibly missing libraries, perhaps an outdated version downloaded.

However, it may be that I am just missing something obvious in getting it to load, or failing to get it configured.

I'd be grateful for any hints, particularly with normal procedures for installing and configuring a package that isn't immediately obvious.

Thanks.

The Thunderbird issue is similar to the Chromium issue. Newer versions simply crash after installing.
The only solution I know is downgrading to an older version than 60.xxx.

There are two possible scenarios:
1. If you still have thunderdird 52.8.0-1~deb9u1 on your tinkerboard, but upgraded to 60.xxx, you can downgrade it:
To find out try: sudo apt-cache policy thunderbird
If you tinkerboard shows the 52-version you can 'reanimate' it by typing: sudo apt-get install thunderbird=1:52.8.0-1~deb9u1
(Be careful to type the version exactly as shown on your tinkerboard!)
If you did so successfully (try it first), you can save you installation by typing: sudo apt-mark hold thunderbird
This protects your installation against unwanted updates. (Using 'unhold' instead of 'hold' would remove the protection if necessary)

2. If you do not have thunderbird 52.8.0-1~deb9u1 on your tinkerboard, just download it first.
Open this page in your browser: https://snapshot.debian.org/binary/thunderbird
Scroll down to exactly this version and click it.
This will take you to this page: https://snapshot.debian.org/package/thun...:7e:deb9u1
Look for the thunderbird version 52.8... which ends on _armhf.deb
Right-click on one of the two links and copy the link address.

Now open the terminal and enter: wget (followed by the copied link)
This will download thunderbird 52 on your tinkerboard.
To install it, simply type: sudo dpkg -i thunderbird_52.8.0-1~deb9u1_armhf.deb

If you did so successfully (try it first), you can save you installation by typing: sudo apt-mark hold thunderbird
This protects your installation against unwanted updates. (Using 'unhold' instead of 'hold' would remove the protection if necessary)

Of course you can use claws mail as Im4Tinker suggests as an alternative, but I prefer Thunderbird because it is from Mozilla and is easy to import when using Microsoft Office.

Hope this helps.