This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the next tinker board going to be like?
Asus has been employing the same tactics as Pi Foundation, which has used the older generations SoC for its Pi boards.

A report recently said that Asus is going to pick the RK3399pro for it future tinker board. However, RK3399pro is a generation or 2 behind the advance ones when the next tinker board goes to the market next year.

Why didn't choose the 8nm, octa-core RK3588, which is available in Q1 next year?

When tinker board appeared on the market last year, there were several boards better than it, the Odroid XU4 is one of them.

Acutally, the price of Odroid XU4 is almost the same as tinker board, but almost twice the performance.

RK3399pro cannot compete with Amlogic s922x, which is used in Odroid n2, in most of areas.

For most users, performance is king.
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/05/29/...processor/
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
Asus hardware is reliable, but firmware is a huge black hole, IHMO. Better to look for western products.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(09-02-2019, 04:25 AM)igorpec Wrote: https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/05/29/...processor/

and this one~

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/05/31/...99pro-soc/
(09-02-2019, 02:40 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Asus hardware is reliable, but firmware is a huge black hole, IHMO. Better to look for western products.

True, and the Raspberry Pi is catching up if not surpassing in some specs.
Sorry, but since Asus has pretty much abandoned the current TB's, I can't see why anyone would bother with TB's beyond the current generation. Now that the Pi has caught up with having 4K video, that will be my route for my next HTPC. I won't give up totally on my current TB, I finally got it work well, now that I figured out that Android 7 for it is broken and downgrading to Android 6 got me a functional HTPC for one TV. The great thing about Pi is that they don't abandon their older boards when they come out with a new board, they do what they can to make the same software/firmware changes work across the board. If Asus were to come out with the TB2 and an updated Android that worked (and I mean WORKED) with TB/TB-S then I'd look more favorable on them and might consider them for the HTPC for my other TV.
sooo... for a development platform.. 
a 64-bit SoC & maintain raspberry Pi form factor.. 
but new pi4 layout.. with reversed Gigabit network and 4 x USB 3.1 port positions.. 
two mini hdmi, with the second, selectable as input or output ]]]]......
USB-C power port / Operating Voltage 5V,3A & configurable as high as 20V/5A (with an EMCA cable).
 (thanks, igorpec, for USB-C PD info)
Base memory RAM 4GB with 8GB & 2GB options...
Base storage 64GB / or socket eMMC user up-gradable.. & SD Card slot..
oooor, maybe it would be a lot easier for Asus to just buy-out RADXA ]]]]]]...
have you seen this.. Rock Pi 4C introduced @ X.Org XDC2019 Developer's Conference in Montréal
ensure new tinker Board is Open Source Hardware.. ]]]..  
then a sit down with Google.. get Certified Android Things System-on-Modules (SoMs)
priced aggressively @ $64 for base unit - 64-bit SoC / 4GB RAM / 64GB Starage...
marketing team, can have lots of fun with this..
global Educational Subsidy Programme.. 
a tinker Board in every school, college & university.. 
---------------------------------;-]..
still loving my tinker Board
k,
> USB-C power port / 5V,3A..

That would be fail. USB-C with PD.

> have you seen this.

Yes. Slightly changed Rockpi.
(10-09-2019, 01:25 PM)igorpec Wrote: > USB-C power port / 5V,3A..

hi igorpec,
"Google requires new Android devices with Type-C ports to not break USB-PD compatibility"   [C-1-3]

you referring to this??? 
----------------;-]...
k,
(10-09-2019, 02:07 PM)k247tEK Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 01:25 PM)igorpec Wrote: > USB-C power port / 5V,3A..

hi igorpec,
"Google requires new Android devices with Type-C ports to not break USB-PD compatibility"   [C-1-3]

you referring to this??? 
----------------;-]...
k,

Actually not.

Phone charging is far less troublesome (have different problems) than powering a device. (Even shitty mUSB can do that job perfectly well) Key advantage is not exposed in that article, perhaps because for charging W is the only relevant component. We need to compensate voltage drop by sending more than 5V to the board to have stable 5V all the time. That is the reason why RPi official PSU has totally nonstandard 5.2V.

.pdf   en.APEC_2016_USB_Power.pdf (Size: 1.71 MB / Downloads: 3)

USB PD = configurable voltage up to 20 V and configurable current up to 5 A