This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browsers and OS. Any functional option?
Sad 
Today, this is the situation, at least, for Debian users:
  • The Chromium updates later than 67, crashes.
  • If you keep this version with widevine, services like Prime Video says you you have an old browser.
  • The rest of compatible browsers haven't GPU acceleration. In Vivaldi for example, if you try to turn it on, really isn't enabled (It's posible to truly accelerate it? Please answer it.).
  • We can't update to Buster fully operative, because there isn't a Rockchip driver available. Because of this, you can't run GPU acceleration in programs, like browsers, Kodi, etc.
  • Probably, there are other OS options which overcome this problems, but I want to keep on Debian. If there aren't solutions, I will change to other distribution.
What do you think about this? What's the best solution? Thanks.
Sadly, there are no cheap solutions.

> but I want to keep on Debian

Debian comes from www.debian.org
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
Vivaldi dumps this (I used to get this with SDL stuff until I rebuilt SDL to use the right libs):

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: rockchip_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
libGL error: unable to load driver: rockchip_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: rockchip
At last, I have seen the light thanks to Vivaldi Browser (the only is offering working updates for our system)

Vivaldi GPU acceleration
  • First, make symbolic links to libraries:

Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so /opt/vivaldi/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so /opt/vivaldi/libEGL.so
  • Second, you must start Vivaldi with some edited flags:

Code:
vivaldi-stable --use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096 --disable-sandbox

(Source: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=29229)

Probably, you can edit these parameters in a config file, like in Chromium (chromium-flags.conf) but I haven't found it (or where I must create it). I simply have made a shortcut in the desktop.
  • Now, you can verify chrome://gpu (vivaldi://gpu) and can play accelerated videos!. 

Protected content
The following step consist on setting up the DRM. You can search for the files in Internet but today many people are doing the following method:
  • The script takes from the ChromeOS image the libwidevine and flash files and compress them in a file. The rest of files are erased.
  • Later, you must put the files (the .so file and the PepperFlash folder) in /opt/google/chrome. The script remembers you it when finishes.
  • Finally, in order to Vivaldi could use Widevine plugin, you must make a symbolic link in Vivaldi folder: 

Code:
sudo ln -fs /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /opt/vivaldi/libwidevinecdm.so

I hope you enjoy it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ikesankom's post:
  • hartraft