This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up Android SD cards
[edit] now using standard .img files usable by etcher, win32diskimager & dd

Download latest image: android [239MB]  
and see the standard SD burning guide here: http://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-1.html

Android images are in a "firmware" format that requires the firmware tool to make an SD card.

Instructions:

Insert into your tinkerboard and boot up.
Note first boot can take in excess of 5 minutes while it is resizing partitions to fill the SD card.
Subsequent boots are under 20 seconds.

If you're having trouble with the above I have uploaded a standard etcher / win32diskimager / dd  format .img here:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B5s6SxCT...t=download
- but note that it won't auto-expand to fill your card so the resulting android OS will not have much free space
(04-29-2017, 04:22 PM)Mikerr Wrote: Android images are in a "firmware" format that requires the firmware tool to make an SD card.

Instructions:
  • Download and extract latest android image file : 20170419-tinkerboard-android-marshmallow-userdebug131102.zip [256 MB]
  • Execute "SD_Firmware_Tool.exe" from the zip file
  • Set “removable disk” to micro SD card that will use for Tinker Board*
  • Click "Firmware" to select Android image
  • Click “Create” to flash image to micro SD card

Insert into your tinkerboard and boot up.
Note first boot can take in excess of 5 minutes while it is resizing partitions to fill the SD card.
Subsequent boots are under 20 seconds.
I've follow the instruction above with seven different sd card and still not manage to boot. Nothing happend what so ever. Is android image more sensitive than debian which sdcard you use?
The latest beta of android is now in the "normal" .img format that can be directly burned with etcher / win32diskimager / dd :
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Linu...131103.zip [248 MB]
(05-01-2017, 11:54 AM)Mikerr Wrote: The latest beta of android is now in the "normal" .img format that can be directly burned with etcher / win32diskimager / dd :
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Linu...131103.zip [248 MB]

I should be unlucky !!! 

I tried with 2 different micro SD, and several image burning tools, and have the same results. The 2 micro SDs are 32 Gb. A Samsung 32 Evo (Micro SD HC I, Class 1), the second one is a Sandisk Exttreme (Micro SD HC I, Class 3), and on both cards, I have an issue.

* On the Sandisk : I have a screen explaining that the system is formating /data, this text is diplayed 15 seconds, then the tinkeboard reboots, and the power do not lit up anymore.
* On the Samsung, /data is formatted, then, another partition, and it do the same. Reboot, black screen, and no more power led...

To burn the image, I used on Mac applePiBaker, Etcher, and dd, on Windows, etcher, win32imager

Any idea ?

[EDIT] I am an idiot Big Grin
I took a wrong adapter, with an output of 1 amp only... Just not enough power Smile
For me, opening firmware fail, don't get it~
(05-08-2017, 06:46 AM)ColinACMY Wrote: For me, opening firmware fail, don't get it~

Manage to write in to SD card via Win32ImageWriter. And it boot up after few min wait. Thanks guys~
(05-08-2017, 06:46 AM)ColinACMY Wrote: For me, opening firmware fail, don't get it~

Manage to write in to SD card via Win32ImageWriter. And it boot up after few min wait. Thanks guys~
hey all, i have a sammy 128gb evo card and for some reason when i write the image and get passed the first part it doesn't do anything on reboot. My toshiba 32gb card booted very quickly. both are class 10s. clearly the 128 may take longer initially but i get no green blinking light or anything showing activity. Thoughts?