This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help to kill read only system
While doing too many things to once, I mistakenly managed to burn Zorin Lite OS onto the eMMC of my Tinkerboard S… Now Etcher does not recognize the eMMC so I am unable to reinstall the Tinker OS to it. I am able to boot the Tinker OS via a micro SD card. I have tried to remove Zorin using both File Manager and LX Terminal but I lack the proper magic incantation to defeat a "READ ONLY SYSTEM". Any help would be most appreciated. 
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index...._and_Flash

BTW.
Armbian has support for UMS and come with better support than TinkerOS or its derivatives which are usually without any support. Like you just experienced.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
Thanks
igorpec... Thanks again for the link you sent me. I tried several of the cures it put forward but none worked for me... However it was very helpful in showing me why Etcher was unable to recognize the EMMC and why I was unable to burn a Tinker OS to it... After some more searching I found this link... https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/attac...hp?aid=353... After several failed attempts I was able cure my problem.

I burned a copy of a Linaro Tinkerboard OS to a mini SD card and put it into the SD slot of the Tinkerboard. I booted the board and went into Terminal. I determined that the SD card was called mmcblk1 and the EMMC is called mmcblk0. I entered this bit of code and hit ENTER.

# dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M conv=notrunc,noerror,sync status=progress

After about ten minutes the Tinkerboard transfered the OS from the SD card to the EMMC, overwriting the Zorin OS. I removed the SD card and am now able to boot the Tinkerboard OS from the EMMC and Etcher is able to recognize the Tinkerboard as a drive to burn to.

So thanks for help...
Quote:and Etcher is able to recognize the Tinkerboard as a drive to burn to.

Now you can also flash Armbian directly to your eMMC and downgrade back to TinkerOS if you like ...
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.