This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot flash eMMC from Windows 10
Hello !

I am currently trying to put an OS on my tinkerboard S.
Following the user manual, I have set the jumper to eMMC recovery, plugged into Windows 10 1909, Windows shows an unknow device but nothing happens, no drive found.

If I do the same set on eMMC Power on, I can quickly see two drives, then the red light switches off and the drives dissappear. 

It boots from SD card with jumper set to disabled, but I do not want to boot from SD card, I use a TinkerBoard S for its eMMC.

Would you have any advice ? 
Thanks.
Guillaume

Edit: maybe this is something I do not understand from the doc:

disabled means ... boot from SD, but eMMC storage from PC when plugged in
eMMC recovery means ... I don't now, reset ?
Power on means ... use eMMC ???
Better you use Linux, then you may a better chance on your attempts.
One more option is to have a USB-232 adaptor and plug it prior booting. See discussions on the forum.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(01-10-2020, 11:15 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Better you use Linux, then you may a better chance on your attempts.
One more option is to have a USB-232 adaptor and plug it prior booting. See discussions on the forum.

Well ... my RPIs and Tinkerboards are the only Linux based machines I have at home ...
But I manage to get an OS flashed. I am more worried not to properly understand how the jumper works. 
I did something which looks completely different from what is documented and have it working ... which is good, in a sense. And also very strange!
The jumper will pose the boot loader (u-boot) to search for the eMMC.
So if the u-boot exist on the first 4 MB on the eMMC, it will start from there. If detecting an USB connection on the micro USB, it will perform as media reader.
If u-boot is not available/readable from eMMC, the last attempt it will be to search for a SD card, if present. Then it will try to find the u-boot from there.

You may find this of some interest.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin