This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OS & Browsers
I have recently switched from an RPi3B+ to a Tinker Board S, and after a week of Tinkering I have some questions on the device. I have tried out quite a few OS's for the tinker board like Tinker Android,  Armbian Buster (it was a mistake as I needed Bionic), Armbian Bionic, and Tinker Debian after doing some research.

1. From some post (titled Anyone else disappointed with the Tinkerboard?)  and the "media-script" created by JMCC on the Armbian forum,  Armbian seems to be more welcomed by users. But from my experience, the general responsiveness is not on par with Tinker OS (booting from SD instead of emmc could be a factor). Even though I have successfully installed the media-script, playing 1080p30 YouTube videos on chromium (with media script tweaks, disabling 60fps...) stutters a lot and was dropping half of the frames, whereas playing Youtube 1080p30 videos on default chromium on Tinker OS does not drop frames significantly or stutters (only when it starts playing or skipping to frames it hasn't yet buffered). Would Ubuntu be any chance better than Armbian in this case?  I have not tested it out.

--Am I missing something to get Armbian to work better on streaming?

2. This is one of my reasons trying to move to Armbian from Debian, there is a lack of browsers supported by tinker os (debian stretch). I have tried Vivaldi with hardware acceleration through making symbolic link to libraries and starting it with flags, it still drops more frames than Chromium for YouTube. However, with the default Chromium, font rendering seems to be an issue which I couldn't find any literature (forum posts) supporting it. I have seen similar problems in Chrome on cheap Windows 10 laptops, and it is supposed to be fixed by disabling hardware acceleration, but that would defeat my purpose of using chromium on Tinker OS. Confused

imgur dot com/a/xPkqi7F
Chromium 67 on Tinker OS; The texts on on the tab and URL seem to be "too bold" and the Arial texts in the search description seems to be "too crispy and thin", it kinda hurts my eye reading them

imgur dot com/a/U5DFccl
Vivaldi latest stable on Tinker OS
(Sorry for not posting a direct link as I don't seem to have enough post count to do this)
--Is there a fix to the font rendering problem? Huh

My views on Armbian Bionic and Tinker Debian:
Debian does the job, but I had to spend a whole day just to get things in the right place, like installing fonts ( As a spoon-fed windows user for decades, I was surprised to see that Time News Roman has to be manually installed Tongue). It also fits my need the most: streaming through a browser instead of using kodi plugins with a lack of original interfaces (this is what I had to do with my RPi3B+). But some parts of it looks like my Windows 95 PC under a pile of dust.

Armbian looks gorgeous and it is has a better UI, for example the ability to snapping windows by default. (on Tinker Debian I had to use open snap, and it is not integrated with chromium so I have to enable the title bar to use it on chromium). It also allows using new browsers, which is a problem for Tinker Debian on Stretch (instead of Buster).

At that end of the day, this is going to be my everyday drive and I hope this can also help other new TB users in the future. Smile
Quote:booting from SD instead of emmc could be a factor

??? Armbian boots from eMMC since the day one. And with far more recent u-boot which supports the same functions - loading image via USB.

Quote:Would Ubuntu be any chance better than Armbian in this case?

there is a lack of browsers supported by tinker os

If this would be cheap enough, that we could pay for the development - we would do it - since this require a lot of additional cash without return, nobody will do it. A hack used in TinkerOS - to use some fixed outdated Chromium - is not acceptable for Armbian. We care for security. If anyone would do this expensive part, we could make use of it. In short. No, Ubuntu from www.ubuntu.com will probably not even boot. And certainly not with Gnome or some other fancy UI ...

Quote:Am I missing something to get Armbian to work better on streaming?

Asking for help on the wrong forum? Ask in that JMCC thread.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
[quote="igorpec" pid='12124' dateline='1582402030']
[quote]booting from SD instead of emmc could be a factor[/quote]

??? Armbian boots from eMMC since the day one. And with far more recent u-boot which supports the same functions - loading image via USB.

Thank you for your suggestions, I was going to try Armbian without losing the Debian image with all my settings in the emmc so I was using an SD as a trial.
And now I am kind of right as I don't have enough expertise to figure out why I can't mount the TB as a mass storage on my PC to flash new os onto the emmc. I have tried to use sd and emmc to get UMS to mount on my PC using the latest Tinker Debian image with no luck.

(Trying out Im4Tinker's "Procedure for Tinker Board" flashing method at this moment)
Quick update: If your using Tinker OS Debian from Asus, it should not have such problems, in my case the confusion arises from using a case for the TB, as soon as I removed the case, it mounts perfectly
(02-23-2020, 06:30 AM)PumpkinEaterDaughtryMum Wrote: [quote="igorpec" pid='12124' dateline='1582402030']
Quote:booting from SD instead of emmc could be a factor

Thank you for your suggestions, I was going to try Armbian without losing the Debian image with all my settings in the emmc so I was using an SD as a trial.
And now I am kind of right as I don't have enough expertise to figure out why I can't mount the TB as a mass storage on my PC to flash new os onto the emmc. I have tried to use sd and emmc to get UMS to mount on my PC using the latest Tinker Debian image with no luck.

(Trying out Im4Tinker's "Procedure for Tinker Board" flashing method at this moment)
Quick update: If your using Tinker OS Debian from Asus, it should not have such problems, in my case the confusion arises from using a case for the TB, as soon as I removed the case, it mounts perfectly

You only need to read this:
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index....t_Priority

regardless of which image you will use.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.