This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing rotation of the display
Hi all,
Tinkerboard Linaro stretch 9.11
Linux tinkerboard 4.4.132+ #1 SMP Wed Aug 21 19:15:55 CST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

I set up the display orientation on portrait mode.
If I unplug the display and then I replug it, I find the display with landscape orientation.

I only found a row in syslog file:

tinkerboard kernel: [1906077.095664] rockchip-vop ff930000.vop: [drm:vop_crtc_enable] Update mode to 1920x1080p0, type: 11

Why the orientation was lost?
My guess is the driver is evaluating the display resolution regardless of the rotation. 

Thanks!
The portrait rotation is set by an initial script: maybe that's why it loose the setting...

Is it possible to set the orientation so the driver can retrieve the set?
In my tests I modified the config file in:

root@tinkerboard:~# more /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-modesetting.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "Rockchip Graphics"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
Option "DRI" "2"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "KioskMonitor"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "KioskMonitor"
Option "Rotate" "left"
EndSection

This is ok at the startup, the display is rotated.
But if I unplug the monitor and then replug, the display goes to landscape mode = no rotation.
Listen on the SoundCloud app. No more previews, just full tracks. Try SoundCloud Go+. DJ Stef Mo's avatar. DJ Stef Mo. Bristol via Knighton
Could be a driver issue or some sort of a error but i'm not sure enough
because linux default policy, would detect HDMI plug-in or plug-out status.
when plug-out will disable/turn off HDMI.
when plug-in will reset/turn on HDMI, and use default EDID's resolution's from monitor. and our setting from the system UI tool would not be apply...(I found that only can be applied when boot up or x start).

so we need modify some script manual...find a script may called /usr/local/bin/hdmi-toggle
and end of that script, you can find some like below:
Code:
# The external display is connected
if [ "$EXTERNAL_DISPLAY" != "" ]; then
# Set the display settings
xrandr
xrandr  --output HDMI-1 --auto
else
# Restore to single display
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --off
fi

disable it or not let it use xrandr --output with --auto, or let it read some of your custom setting from other files.