This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LibreElec on Tinkerboard
Hi Kwiboo,

It is working really good - never get more than 80 degrees. I only use HW decoding for my video content (HEVC DVB-T2 streams & h.264 video streams). Can I donate somewhere for your work and efforts? ;-)

Only the TVheadend PVR client is missing to me... Does anybody have an idea or zip for installation available?
Thank you @Kwiboo for taking the time for such a detailed response. It's much appreciated. This is my next project then. My first ever self produced build.

And thank you re the LibreElec SD Creator tool advice, I've always used Win32 Diskimager and just assumed it needed an image. I will be sure to use the LE one now...

With regards to performance and Overclocking, are you saying with the builds already out there for the TB that they already run at full speed? or if I use the files on Github to compile my own? (or both?) So effectively set at 'performance' and you can alternatively set to 'simple_ondemand' 'powersave' etc? In other words if I want the max performance, just leave as is (with the RP and the Odroid, the CPU's are set to run at their maximum capabilities and can be effectively tweaked to see big improvements, in the case of the Odroid C2 you can also OC the DDR3 Ram.

I'm still learning all the time with SBC's so thank you for your patience and help....

Oh @Kwiboo can I use the latest test file you linked to update? as opposed to a fresh install. There is a source code .Tar.gz file but that is labelled rockchip.alpha3 so not sure if it's for the TB? (I chose the second link to source file to match up with the TB .img.gz file (I just don't know if I can use this straight into the update folder via access of my pc (like I can with other versions of LE)

***Edit*** Answered my own question, I can update (and have done so) from the .img.gz files you linked to dated yesterday. So I'm now running the very latest version Smile Just put the file into the update folder via my windows file explorer and rebooted (for those running windows and wishing to update)

(07-30-2017, 07:25 PM)wappi Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 07:06 PM)GadgetMan Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 04:09 PM)wappi Wrote: Can someone please post how to create a SD card image or a zip-file to update Libreelec?

Already posted a few posts up. You need to download the LibreElec SD creator tool as instructed and choose the image you've downloaded (I downloaded the one on the link on page 2) If it's a filename ending .gz (that one is) you need to unpack it with Winrar so that you have an .img file and then use the tool to write that to the SD Card. All you need to do then is put it into your TB and let it install. Will overheat and shut off without a fan installed though, or at least mine did after getting to 80 degrees (55 degrees with a fan)

Hi GadgetMan, 

Thank you for your answer, but I wanted to know how I can create an image file from Github...   Huh

Up to 80 degrees is not burning the CPU... do you know CPU's limit?

wappi

Sorry, I misunderstood. You'll see it's now been answered by @Kwiboo as I wanted to know the same thing too, I think a steep learning curve is about to happen to both of us. If you don't wish to go down that route, the image listed on page 2 works just fine. You could Download that to test? 

As for the temp 80 degrees may not burn the CPU but it was enough to shut my TB down (may of been higher as I took that reading, just after I booted it back up. I'm now running along at a steady 45/50 degrees. 

I would like to test it with a stress test via SSH using Putty etc Does anyone know what the commands would be to run a temp test? I know what they are for the Raspberry Pi over SSH, but not sure what to use for the Tinker? Cheers all
(07-31-2017, 07:40 AM)ThomasL Wrote: Is it possible to test this on debian, by extracting the kodi binaries?

No it is not possible to use this on debian/tinker os just by copying the binaries, also this version of kodi is optimized to run standalone without any window manager (x11/wayland).

(07-31-2017, 06:47 PM)wappi Wrote: Can I donate somewhere for your work and efforts?

Thanks but I would rather see you donate directly to LibreELEC or a charity :)

(07-31-2017, 06:47 PM)wappi Wrote: Only the TVheadend PVR client is missing to me...  Does anybody have an idea or zip for installation available?

It is possible the RPi2 version of the addon might work, I have not tested nor built any of the addons that usually come with LibreELEC.

(07-31-2017, 07:19 PM)GadgetMan Wrote: With regards to performance and Overclocking, are you saying with the builds already out there for the TB that they already run at full speed?

Correct, the default has always been to run cpu and gpu at full speed (performance governor).
For best possible gui performance you should leave the gpu using the performance governor, otherwise gui animations might get throttled to 30fps.
I would change the cpu governor as a start if the board is getting too hot.

My ambient temperature is 20-25C and my board usually run at 65-70C using stock heat sink and an official raspberry pi 3 case (without the top), it have peeked at 80C after accidentally being left running settings gui at 60fps for a week.

(07-31-2017, 07:19 PM)GadgetMan Wrote: Does anyone know what the commands would be to run a temp test?

See below commands, 60/58C

Code:
LibreELEC:~ # cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
LibreELEC:~ # cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
Cheers @Kwiboo.

I reached over 80 degrees and it powered down (not even a reboot, just shut down) I was downloading a build from a wizard and this caused it to overheat. I also use the official RP case with the top off and a relatively big heatsink. I was on a build that was linked via google cloud off page 2 and I don't know if that was the problem or just my TB. I have no improvised and attached a fan with a thin piece of acryliic drilled out for the fan and attached to the case. I'm running at around 45 to 55 degrees. Happy with that. I will leave the governors as they are and now running your latest dev build (dated 30-7-17) all seems good

Thank you for the heat test code too. you're work is appreciated and I'm so glad to have LE on my Tinker as I use it on my Raspberry Pi's and my Odroid. Love it.
This is great stuff. Thanks very much to Kwiboo et al for making this happen for Tinker.
@Kwiboo, thank you for this Alpha release, the video playback seems to be smooth, I tried for a 1080p H264.

However, I can't get the Audio working:
- Bluetooth is shown as Disabled, and I can't find any option to enable it.
- When plugging in headphones, I don't get any sound either. I have 4 audio devices listed in the System -> Audio menu: TinkerBoard PULSE analog, USB, HDMI and Bluetooth. I assume the first one maps to the plugged in headphones, but there's no sound. Maybe the audio is going through the HDMI interface? I have a projector, with no sound, plugged into the HDMI port.

On Debian Tinker OS I always had to manually select the audio output device as `rockchip rk38XX` for each new application which was emitting sound.

Anyone else having the same problem?
1.  nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Autostart.sh)

2. Paste:

#!/bin/sh
echo interactive > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor

My ambient temperature is 27C and my board usually run at 65-70C

Thanks!
I've compiled a new image from Kwiboo's github, I made a small tweak so the LibreElec repo should work with it.

I installed the TV Headend client from their repo and it works fine, however the tinkerboard seems to get hot quite quickly playing mpeg2 video and I had a few freeze ups and overheating shutdowns. MP4 and 4K playback seems to be fine so far.

I've uploaded the img (in .gz) here

http://www79.zippyshare.com/v/UjoFji1K/file.html
Hi doubledecks,

Thank you for this - I will try it later today. TV Headend client was the only missing for me...

What temperature does your Tinkerboard reach? Is mepg2 software decoded or hardware? I am testing Kwiboo's release since a week and I am happy with it. I wonder about my 70°C - 80°C, because CPU load (based on system information) seems very low...
Hiya

Looks like mpeg 2 is software decoded, the CPU goes up between 30-50% on all cores and temperature was 83 degrees.

With a 4k movie CPU goes between 5-10% and temperature was 65 degrees