This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(why) should I buy the tinkerboard?
It just took me an embarrassing amount of attempts to add a unit of measure in the box that verifies I'm not a robot. I'm pretty confident this is above my paygrade:

notclickable tinkerboarding notclickable forum/archive/index.php/thread-1623.html    ( OpenGL Hardware Acceleration? )
notclickable wiki.debian notclickable MaliGraphics
notclickable forum.armbian notclickable /topic/6506-tutorial-3d-video-acceleration-and-opencl-in-rk3288-boards-with-new-44-default-kernel/ ( RK3288 Media Script linked in post)

Spoiler: if you're a devout fanboy and in a good mood stop reading.

You look online you see all kinds of things running smoothly on a tinkerboard, you check the forums you see a bunch of available distros, with tinkerOS receiving regular updates, you see all those posts in the wider internet, telling you how much linux has changed... If you found this post via google, and are wondering wether to opt for this product, probably because of the higher cpu clock, these words are adressed directly to you dear reader: hell nah! Unless you're a linux godmonster nativeborn that sudos his toothpaste out of the tube via terminal you simply won't, doesn't matter what you were asking. I have been sweating tears for two months now with no results to show for:

First I tried to get a huawei surfstick to work, doesn't work with the drivers on it, nor with those you can find online ( routerunlock ). Hell I failed to access the drivers on the stick under most distros. Maybe it actually "just worked" under TinkerOS debian, but if it did it drew enough power to crash the system 100% of the time. Suspecting this was the thoughest part I was ready to just use any OS where I'd succeed, eventually I lowered my expectations and went on to others issues:

My portable power solution. A module to convert a bunch of 18650 into 5v 2.5A. Let's just be generous and say that it works - for now; beware though I basically only trust TinkerOS debian to run stable, android for example will probably crash before you get to see the google startpage.  To say it's highly advised to use a 5.1v 2.5A power supply is an understatement. It's funny I wanted to avoid android at all costs, I only tried it out when I realized how hard it is to get hardware acceleration. Now that I've seen it's flawless bluetooth, wifi and touchscreen drivers, I'm sad it's not an option because this project was allways going to be portable no matter how downgraded it gets.

I haven't been able to get hardware acceleration on a single program so far, some distros have it on the browser that's it. Gameboy, GBC&GBA emulation is the only thing that seems in grasp given software rendering, and only on the latest TinkerOS debian released end of march. It'll run more or less smoothly, moreso with the 5.1v, for about one or two reboots when it starts stuttering again like it allways did (meaning mostly when you enter controls).

When they say tinker they mean struggle for every millimeter. Trade in all the time this product made me miserable and one could buy some very neat toy that'll break in probably less than five years, with no simple way to replace a simple component. I'll admit it, you broke me. I capitulate. But maybe I can spare the same experience to someone like me, me who keeps frenetically googling but winds up just buying the damn thing because there is no way to tell without trying anyway,  when reading all that (mostly dated) advice. This device is ARM architecture, if you have to google what that means, most programms will not perform as you think they will when you read the specs. At this point I'd be willing to underclock the damn thing and eat all the adds google can throw at me if that meant that it worked.

What follows is basically SEO optimization à la troglodyte. Don't mind me.

How to activate software center password prompt in Xubuntu 19.04?
Why is my bluetooth sound so choppy in TinkerOS?
How to install google play store on a Tinkerboard?
How can I enable OpenGL ES in MGBA VisualBoy Advance PCSXR PCSX Rearmed retroarch
How to install huawei stick in linux?
Can you run the tinkerboard on 5v 1A 2A 2.1A 2.2A 2.3A 2.4A 2.5A powerbank?
Why is VLC so slow?
emulation emulator setup configuration install help gpu mali driver bluetooth toturial adafruit fona 3g (am I glad I didn't splurge on that) surfstick dongle phone call receive message overclock graphic card
How to install software program programs programms in tinkerOS
Why does linux tech advice feel like battling hypothermia with a square decimeter worth of blanket?

If you think I'm doing this because I've the confidence that I've done it right and it doesn't work you are mistaken, I'm just very tired of repeating the sparse "solutions" I stumbled on mutliple times hoping for different results. I am defeated. Had I not personally experienced the discrepance in performance you get on a high end system vs what people tell you their framerates are, I'd be drowning in self-doubt right now, though clearly there is a pattern here. It's not everybody else, so it must be me amirite boys?! This forum is dead anyways.
(05-26-2020, 12:49 AM)TB60ME0 Wrote: It just took me an embarrassing amount of attempts to add a unit of measure in the box that verifies I'm not a robot. I'm pretty confident this is above my paygrade:

notclickable tinkerboarding notclickable forum/archive/index.php/thread-1623.html    ( OpenGL Hardware Acceleration? )
notclickable wiki.debian notclickable MaliGraphics
notclickable forum.armbian notclickable /topic/6506-tutorial-3d-video-acceleration-and-opencl-in-rk3288-boards-with-new-44-default-kernel/ ( RK3288 Media Script linked in post)

Spoiler: if you're a devout fanboy and in a good mood stop reading.

You look online you see all kinds of things running smoothly on a tinkerboard, you check the forums you see a bunch of available distros, with tinkerOS receiving regular updates, you see all those posts in the wider internet, telling you how much linux has changed... If you found this post via google, and are wondering wether to opt for this product, probably because of the higher cpu clock, these words are adressed directly to you dear reader: hell nah! Unless you're a linux godmonster nativeborn that sudos his toothpaste out of the tube via terminal you simply won't, doesn't matter what you were asking. I have been sweating tears for two months now with no results to show for:

First I tried to get a huawei surfstick to work, doesn't work with the drivers on it, nor with those you can find online ( routerunlock ). Hell I failed to access the drivers on the stick under most distros. Maybe it actually "just worked" under TinkerOS debian, but if it did it drew enough power to crash the system 100% of the time. Suspecting this was the thoughest part I was ready to just use any OS where I'd succeed, eventually I lowered my expectations and went on to others issues:

My portable power solution. A module to convert a bunch of 18650 into 5v 2.5A. Let's just be generous and say that it works - for now; beware though I basically only trust TinkerOS debian to run stable, android for example will probably crash before you get to see the google startpage.  To say it's highly advised to use a 5.1v 2.5A power supply is an understatement. It's funny I wanted to avoid android at all costs, I only tried it out when I realized how hard it is to get hardware acceleration. Now that I've seen it's flawless bluetooth, wifi and touchscreen drivers, I'm sad it's not an option because this project was allways going to be portable no matter how downgraded it gets.

I haven't been able to get hardware acceleration on a single program so far, some distros have it on the browser that's it. Gameboy, GBC&GBA emulation is the only thing that seems in grasp given software rendering, and only on the latest TinkerOS debian released end of march. It'll run more or less smoothly, moreso with the 5.1v, for about one or two reboots when it starts stuttering again like it allways did (meaning mostly when you enter controls).

When they say tinker they mean struggle for every millimeter. Trade in all the time this product made me miserable and one could buy some very neat toy that'll break in probably less than five years, with no simple way to replace a simple component. I'll admit it, you broke me. I capitulate. But maybe I can spare the same experience to someone like me, me who keeps frenetically googling but winds up just buying the damn thing because there is no way to tell without trying anyway,  when reading all that (mostly dated) advice. This device is ARM architecture, if you have to google what that means, most programms will not perform as you think they will when you read the specs. At this point I'd be willing to underclock the damn thing and eat all the adds google can throw at me if that meant that it worked.

What follows is basically SEO optimization à la troglodyte. Don't mind me.

How to activate software center password prompt in Xubuntu 19.04?
Why is my bluetooth sound so choppy in TinkerOS?
How to install google play store on a Tinkerboard?
How can I enable OpenGL ES in MGBA VisualBoy Advance PCSXR PCSX Rearmed retroarch
How to install huawei stick in linux?
Can you run the tinkerboard on 5v 1A 2A 2.1A 2.2A 2.3A 2.4A 2.5A powerbank?
Why is VLC so slow?
emulation emulator setup configuration install help gpu mali driver bluetooth toturial adafruit fona 3g (am I glad I didn't splurge on that) surfstick dongle phone call receive message overclock graphic card
How to install software program programs programms in tinkerOS
Why does linux tech advice feel like battling hypothermia with a square decimeter worth of blanket?

If you think I'm doing this because I've the confidence that I've done it right and it doesn't work you are mistaken, I'm just very tired of repeating the sparse "solutions" I stumbled on mutliple times hoping for different results. I am defeated. Had I not personally experienced the discrepance in performance you get on a high end system vs what people tell you their framerates are, I'd be drowning in self-doubt right now, though clearly there is a pattern here. It's not everybody else, so it must be me amirite boys?! This forum is dead anyways.

5-25-2020 and not a single reply.
Looks like there isn't any help for your troublesome attempt at the Asus Tinkerboard.
You should stay with a good high end PC running with Windows 10, or an Apple  that is a winner for those who want help as little as possible.

I like it because of the low 4 watt usage and 2 gigs of ram and 2ghz cpu which is enough for what I do.
With my 32" TV connected to the TB and my LED Desk Light, I get a whopping 26 watts.
I do have a high end PC that I don't use much unless there is a need to do something that the trusty TBoard can't do.

I recommend you stay away from Linux. It will not do everything under the sun.  It will not give you peace of mind....it will only bring torment and misery.

But as for me and what I do, I love linux.   Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

PS: VLC, Chromium, and many other apps run smooth on my TBos.
      Audio sounds very good with bluetooth.
     Black Screen can be woken up with ctl/alt/del
     4k sucks, 720 just fine with me.
     The biggest thing I like is that I own linux, it is mine. It's free and open.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Smith's post:
  • Monni