This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for 5 inch capacitive touch screen and Android with Tinker/TinkerS
Hi

Before anyone starts, I have spent the last couple of hours on the search function of the forum, as well as trawling through anything I can find on a couple of questions, but what I have found is either a couple of years old, or inconclusive.

For my application of a CarPC project, I ideally need to use a 5 inch screen, as I need to locate it in a classic car and my chosen location will not fit a 7 inch screen such as the Pi one.

MIPI-DSI would be nice and neat, but do not mind it being HDMI for output and USB for touch data stream.

What have people used?

Has anyone tried any MIPI-DSI 15 pin to other configurations with adapters (I think I have seen a couple in my frantic searches)

I am coming over from the ODroid community, where I have a ODroidC4 with a VU5A capacitive touch screen, which was looking to be ideal, got GPS Working on it, Wifi and BlueTooth, but then found that it seems like the Android Bluetooth Stack will not accept USB as a path for the USB for the HFP or HSP side of hands free... So have bought a Tinkerboard and Tinkerboard S for some experiments to see if I can get to the same point, but hopefully further with the Bluetooth HFP or HSP due to the on board Bluetooth... (please don't tell me it is implemented at board level on a USB bus! lol)

Anyway, this screen situation is probably the first hurdle I need to try to climb, so if anyone has a solution that seems to work under any of the Android builds (6, 7 or the recently appeared 8) then I would love to hear from you.
Looks like I am going into uncharted territory to an extent, on this one.

I have found a few MIPI-DSI Screens, as well as some SPI ones which may work via the GPIO, so over the next few weeks I will do some experiments and post back here for the purposes of anyone else searching.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarbirus's post:
  • ugos
(06-15-2020, 12:02 PM)sarbirus Wrote: Looks like I am going into uncharted territory to an extent, on this one.

I have found a few MIPI-DSI Screens, as well as some SPI ones which may work via the GPIO, so over the next few weeks I will do some experiments and post back here for the purposes of anyone else searching.

Any news about your experiments? I'm interested in that screen.