This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
KODI for DebianOS
Hi all,

First post and new to this.

I am looking to install Kodi on my debianOS that i flashed from the ASUS site. I cannot find a good thread or video to follow and need a bit of help. 

Thx

Dave
(05-11-2017, 10:37 PM)dmart424 Wrote: Hi all,

First post and new to this.

I am looking to install Kodi on my debianOS that i flashed from the ASUS site. I cannot find a good thread or video to follow and need a bit of help. 

Thx

Dave

@dave first thing change your username to a nickname rather than email addy unless you planning to be spammed by the entire internet is cool for you.

simple open a terminal window and type sudo apt-get install kodi

The type kodi

you should get kodi on screen, however you may find that kodi doesn't perform super well but that's a start.  There are some tweaks to improve it but details on this are light some on here some on kodi forums. but best Kodi experience so far is with the Android image not the debian image. So if its Kodi you want try a android image.
Exclamation 
hi guys,

though i dont have a tinkerboard i have kodi running on firefly and miqi rk3288 devices (similar hw, same kernel 4.4 and debian). it uses vpu and gpu (gles) for video and graphics hardware acceleration. it needs a recent rockchip 4.4 kernel. disclaimer: it's my first concept version (v0.1)

so you could try: 
Code:
wget -O- http://mac-l1.com/kodi/install_kodi.sh|bash

can someone check if it runs and let me know?

cheers -- mac-l1
Hi mac-l1,

I tried your script. It loaded fully, the only thing what is srtange is the last part:
Code:
librockchip-vpu0_1.3.1-1_armhf.deb              100%[====================================================================================================>]  17.78K  --.-KB/s    in 0.08s

2017-05-23 17:07:12 (214 KB/s) - ‘./librockchip-vpu0_1.3.1-1_armhf.deb’ saved [18204/18204]

+ sudo apt-get purge --force-yes kodi kodi.bin xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'kodi-bin' for regex 'kodi.bin'
Package 'xbmc' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  fonts-noto-hinted fonts-noto-mono fonts-roboto-hinted kodi-data libcdio13 libcrossguid0 libjs-iscroll libjs-jquery libldb1 libmariadbclient18 libmicrohttpd12 libpcrecpp0v5 libsmbclient
  libtalloc2 libtevent0 libtinyxml2.6.2v5 libwbclient0 libyajl2 mysql-common python-imaging python-pil python-talloc samba-libs
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kodi* kodi-bin*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 105 not upgraded.
After this operation, 14.0 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.

After this, I restarted the board, and tried to play an x264 1080p movie in Kodi, but it still using the software render, and can't set to HW.

Thanks.
Hi sNaiL94,

What the script basically does is: 1) download all dedicated installable debian packages, then 2) remove any already installed kodi's and then 3) install all new kodi packages (downloaded at step 1)
From your log it seems that script is aborted during step 2). So you still have the old kodi with sw decoder/renderer installed.

So just try again and then continue the script when it asks to continue removing any installed kodi.

Hope this helps!

Cheers -- mac-l1
(05-23-2017, 07:01 PM)mac-l1 Wrote: Hi sNaiL94,

What the script basically does is: 1) download all dedicated installable debian packages, then 2) remove any already installed kodi's and then 3) install all new kodi packages (downloaded at step 1)
From your log it seems that script is aborted during step 2). So you still have the old kodi with sw decoder/renderer installed.

So just try again and then continue the script when it asks to continue removing any installed kodi.

Hope this helps!

Cheers -- mac-l1
+ sudo apt-get purge --force-yes kodi kodi.bin xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'kodi-bin' for regex 'kodi.bin'
Package 'xbmc' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  fonts-noto-hinted fonts-noto-mono fonts-roboto-hinted kodi-data
  libcrossguid0 libjs-iscroll libjs-jquery libldb1 libmariadbclient18
  libmicrohttpd12 libpcrecpp0v5 libsmbclient libtalloc2 libtevent0
  libtinyxml2.6.2v5 libwbclient0 mysql-common python-imaging python-pil
  python-talloc samba-libs
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kodi* kodi-bin*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
After this operation, 14.0 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
linaro@linaro-alip:~$ Y
bash: Y: command not found
linaro@linaro-alip:~$

The script is aborted when "Y" ENTER n step 2.
Kodi will only work on a 1.8 Debian Stretch image ONLY if you do not do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade breaks a lot of packages, so it is NOT recommended.

Just do this and you will have Kodi

sudo apt-get install kodi

Although I have a problem when playing a fullscreen widescreen video that the top and bottom aren't black, it's transparent and I can see the desktop. I posted in the Kodi forums and nobody has replied.

I tried compiling Kodi from source and it's just error after error after error (I finally got stuck on compiling a bunch of DVD crap and I don't know how to disable it with a flag because I don't even need it). Nightly install still doesn't fix this problem.
hi knuxul,

the script does NOT do a dist-upgrade or any upgrade. it only purges some packages and actually fixes some missing/broken packages. it installs my adapted hw accelerated kodi on my debian stretch fine.

your plain command "apt-get install kodi" just installs the kodi from the normal debian apt repository. that one has sw decoding and rendering, which is pretty limited regarding all hardware in the box.

in my kodi i have added hw decoding and hw rendering in code, compiled and built it into debian packages. so the scripts just removes any kodi, downloads my adapted one, and the installs it. it plays movies with hardware accelerated video decoding nad rendering.

would be nice if somebody could share a log of a complete installation of my script. and check if kodi runs.

cheers -- mac-l1
(05-24-2017, 05:12 AM)mac-l1 Wrote: hi knuxul,

the script does NOT do a dist-upgrade or any upgrade. it only purges some packages and actually fixes some missing/broken packages. it installs my adapted hw accelerated kodi on my debian stretch fine.

your plain command "apt-get install kodi" just installs the kodi from the normal debian apt repository. that one has sw decoding and rendering, which is pretty limited regarding all hardware in the box.

in my kodi i have added hw decoding and hw rendering in code, compiled and built it into debian packages. so the scripts just removes any kodi, downloads my adapted one, and the installs it. it plays movies with hardware accelerated video decoding nad rendering.

would be nice if somebody could share a log of a complete installation of my script. and check if kodi runs.

cheers -- mac-l1

I think your kodi use gles, right?

Could you install this xserver in your board to see if it will help improve display performance?

https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rk-roo..._armhf.deb
(05-24-2017, 08:59 AM)wzyy2 Wrote: I think your kodi use gles, right?

Could you install this xserver in your board to see if it will help improve display performance?

https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rk-roo..._armhf.deb

hi wzyy2,
yes it is using gles and vpu legacy api api. i installed your latest xserver on my firefly and it really improves performance - the vsync works perfectly and all tearing is gone! great work, tnx!