This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinkerboard freezes when doing simple things
(09-03-2020, 08:39 PM)Woutertinker Wrote: The only suggestion I still have is: don’t underestimate the required current for a SSD. It seemed that your problems started when transferring files to your Ssd. Their power use cannot be neglected.
My Aragon adapter can theoretically deliver 15w. 
The ssd might max during write cycles at ~4w.
I think TB is ~6-7w max (stress test). See: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-2052.html

Alas there is that controversial micro USB powering issue. 

But why does it freeze ? Why aren't there any undervoltage or power warnings (messages) if electricals don't look good?

Or might it be transfer SPEED related? The 2.5" ssd is in a modern USB 3.0 case. But the 3.5" sata hdd's are in older USB 2.0 sata cases. 

I've got some transfers between two 3.5" sata hdd's (usb 2.0 cases with their own 12v supply) going on now. Been going w/o incident for 1.5hrs. So far, no freezes. Too early to tell, however.
CPU temp is 48 C.
(09-03-2020, 09:54 PM)13hm13 Wrote: But why does it freeze ?

Possible reasons
1. https://forum.armbian.com/topic/4767-pow...micro-usb/
2. Using amateur grade OS

Its almost certainly powering since Tinker can only power the board in ideal conditions. If you add anything on USB, voltage drop will probably be to big ... external powered USB hub could solve the problem.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
maybe SSD is causing power spike ;-[...

I'm looking to get one of these for next week , 
---------------------------------------------------------
Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports.. £39.99 + shipping
StarTech.com 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub - Industrial Grade - ESD/Surge Protection - (ST1030USBM).. £124.50 +
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to test with TinkerOS_Android 7 Nougat v14.4.0.5..

StarTech looks great ;-].. for electronic workbench..
-------------------------
k,
-------
ps..
StarTech - POWERED HUB: Allows 7 ~ 24VDC input through included terminal block or
add StarTech.com 65W external power adapter ITB20D3250 (not included). £69.59 +
hmmmmmm [[[[.... 
looks like its going to be the Anker...
(09-04-2020, 06:15 AM)k247tEK Wrote: maybe SSD is causing power spike ;-[...

Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports..
StarTech.com 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub - Industrial Grade - ESD/Surge Protection - (ST1030USBM)..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StarTech looks great ;-]..
k,
-------
ps..
StarTech - POWERED HUB: Allows 7 ~ 24VDC input through included terminal block or
add StarTech.com 65W external power adapter ITB20D3250 (not included).
hmmmmmm [[[[.... 

PSU is not the problem. Cable / connector is. It can't deliver enough juice ... most of micro USB cables are simply not sufficient.
(09-03-2020, 09:54 PM)13hm13 Wrote: I've got some transfers between two 3.5" sata hdd's (usb 2.0 cases with their own 12v supply) going on now. Been going w/o incident for 1.5hrs. So far, no freezes. Too early to tell, however.
CPU temp is 48 C.
The transfer above -- which took 5-6 hrs -- worked w/o incident. 
Bottom line: At least with orig. (non-S) TB, avoid use of drives powered by the TB on-board power.
It's possible that powering TB via gpio, or use of external powered USB hub, will be reliable.
(09-04-2020, 06:15 AM)k247tEK Wrote: maybe SSD is causing power spike ;-[...

Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports..
StarTech.com 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub - Industrial Grade - ESD/Surge Protection - (ST1030USBM)..

StarTech looks great ;-]..
k,
-------
ps..
add StarTech.com 65W external power adapter ITB20D3250 (not included).
hmmmmmm [[[[.... 
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude .... are you freakin' serious?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezussssssssssssssss ..... that Anker costs  £124.50. Now how does that line of "reasoning" comport with SBC budgets?
hi 13hm13,

Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports.. £39.99 + shipping
& the StarTech is for electronic workbench.. & will not be just plugged into tinker board but other devices...
I thought for £124.50 they will include the Power Adapter.. they don't [[[[[.... extra £69.59 + shipping..

just edited ;-]....
-------------
k,
All you need is to bypass mUSB, not new fancy PSU ...
(09-05-2020, 03:24 PM)igorpec Wrote: All you need is to bypass mUSB, not new fancy PSU ...
You mean power via GPIO pins, right?

In any case, I've heard TB-S and later versions of TB solved the mUSB power issue. Only the orig. TB (2017) has the mUSB power issue, right?

BTW, for audiophile use, such as using attached DACs or even ssd's, anything goes!
For my audiophile computer (which is not an SBC), I use an outboard USB DAC, and feed it a separate (filtered) USB filter/splitter power source.

And, like I said, I had absolutely no issues when using TB with self-powered attached storage.

Also see:
what is your SD card spec? maybe is too slow. for me, I would use class A1 or at least Class 10.