This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinkerboard freezes when doing simple things
I bought my TB from Amazon in mid 2017, but have only put it to use now (Aug. 31), though I did very briefly test it out in 2017.
I'm using whatever default OS was recommend ("Linaro" Debian ??) on a 16gb SanDisk drive.

I'm doing a simple copy and paste from two hard drives connected via USB. Copying a 1.2 TB folder of one hdd to a new ssd.
Things work fine for an hour, maybe two. And then the TB freezes up. Have to re-boot. This has happened six times and I'm only 50% into the total "File operation in progress".
I do have a good heat-sink and dedicated TB case with a fan (fan spins at 5.0v). Also use a good 5.25v 3.0 amp (see below).

So what's my problem?

Thx!

----------------------
Case I use: LoveRPi Active Cooling Media Center PC Case with Fan for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, Libre Computer Board, ASUS Tinker Board (Black)
PSU adapter I use: Argon ONE Raspberry Pi Micro USB Cable Power Supply 5.25 Volts 3 Amps | UL Listed
It keeps happening! And it does literally FREEZE. Mouse, keyboard ... useless. Just whatever screen was last active is visible-- and "locked in". The RED LED power light on the TB pcb is "On".
Only way to solve is cycle power.
I am monitoring my CPU temp and CPU/RAM activity. NORMAL! CPU temp don't exceed 37-40C.

Was there ever any OS upgrades that addressed this issue (again, my OS is from late 2017 I believe)?
hi 13hm13,

do you think its possible, this might be caused by usb power management & autosuspend  ? 

see..
How to disable USB autosuspend on kernel 3.7.10 or above?

also.. try and use a powered usb hub when..
"...doing a simple copy and paste from two hard drives connected via USB. Copying..."

---------------
hope it helps,
k,
(09-01-2020, 03:05 AM)13hm13 Wrote: It keeps happening! And it does literally FREEZE. Mouse, keyboard ... useless. Just whatever screen was last active is visible-- and "locked in". The RED LED power light on the TB pcb is "On".
I am monitoring my CPU temp and CPU/RAM activity. NORMAL!  CPU temp don't exceed 37-40C.

Was there ever any OS upgrades that addressed this issue (again, my OS is from late 2017 I believe)?

there is much better OS out there.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes igorpec's post:
  • Woutertinker
(09-01-2020, 04:15 AM)k247tEK Wrote: also.. try and use a powered usb hub when..
Why would this cause the whole system to freeze? Linux is supposed to be much more robust. Besides, the USB mouse, USB keyboard and USB ssd consume very little power. The other usb-connected  hdd is not powered by the TB usb power -- it has its own power adapter. 

Another funny thing happened. While copy/paste transfer was happening, I opened up Chromium ... and wham .. the screen completely went black for a second ... and I was at the Debian login screen:

[Image: 7-jtkuV3URVUS0r83qdAZlg3Zo8spbhfJBsL7g59...9mcIGV8c5w]

And when I entered "linaro" (the default TinkerOS username/pwd), I came back to the Debian Tinker OS desktop ... and the copy/paste operation was gone!

(09-01-2020, 06:42 AM)igorpec Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 03:05 AM)13hm13 Wrote: It keeps happening! And it does literally FREEZE. Mouse, keyboard ... useless. Just whatever screen was last active is visible-- and "locked in". The RED LED power light on the TB pcb is "On".
I am monitoring my CPU temp and CPU/RAM activity. NORMAL!  CPU temp don't exceed 37-40C.

Armbian?
Was Armbian specifically designed to be more stable with TB and/or other SBCs?
I don't have TB "S". I have the orig. TB ("non-S"). Will Armbian work with that?
Chromium .. seem to be killing your X-display server ]]]]]....

try Tinker Board Debian OS V2.1.11

and also try to run tinker board for 24hrs without connecting..
"...The other usb-connected  hdd is not powered by the TB usb power -- it has its own power adapter... "

disable any power management..

then see.. if tinker board is stable for 24hrs.. ;-]..

----------------
hope it works,
k,
(09-01-2020, 06:58 AM)13hm13 Wrote: Was Armbian specifically designed to be more stable with TB and/or other SBCs?
I don't have TB "S". I have the orig. TB ("non-S"). Will Armbian work with that?

Both will work well / much better than with TinkerOS - just make sure to power it correctly since it has a failed powering design. Armbian and greater community invested magnitude more into the development for RK3288 chip which is the base of Tinkerboard. Also in OS features which are common on all other boards.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes igorpec's post:
  • Woutertinker
Your problem is most probable your power supply. If you have the Tinker Board and not the Tinker Board S it also could be the quality of the SD card. I used several versions of TinkerOS and while I didn’t like some, they all were stable.

Now I am a VERY happy user of Armbian. Together with an official 5.1 V Raspberry Pi power supply, my Tinker Board S is rock stable for many, many hours.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Woutertinker's post:
  • igorpec
(09-01-2020, 06:42 AM)igorpec Wrote:

CHANGES MADE SINCE MY LAST POST ON THIS TOPIC:
I'm running Armbian Bionic now on a SanDisk 64GB Ultra card. Slowed CPU fan speed to low (it was prev. high).
OTHERWISE:
Everything else is exactly the same as before: same connected drives (via USB), same mouse, keyboard, power adapter. 
And I'm performing the exact same function: Copy folders/files from one USB drive to another USB drive. No other process running on the TB.

And about 15 minutes into the file transfer (copy/paste) operation .... FROZEN!! Like the movie. Only this is a BAD MOVIE!!

So, switching from TOS to Armbian made no difference. Switching from a plain 16 GB SanDisk to a better 64 GB SanDisk ULTRA made no difference. 

Some suggested it might be the power adapter. I specifically selected the best rated 5.25v 3A adapter from Amazon  (Argon ONE) for all my SBCs. But I'm connecting it via the default micro USB plug, not gpio (as some suggest).

One of the connected HD is a 3.5"  2tb  standard mechanical drive with its own 12v adapter. The other is a 2.5" ssd with a USB case that is powered thru USB port on the TB. The other power consumers are mouse and keyboard. And, of course, the gpio connected cooling fan.

I ran the Armbian TB for about 48 hours, mostly on idle, with Chromium browser, performing various tasks and even playing some video (very poor). Also had Htop running as a monitor. Connected to it was the mouse, keyboard, and the  3.5" HD   2tb  standard mechanical drive with its own 12v adapter.
No issues ... and then I plugged in the 2.5" ssd, and began transferring files. And, about 15 min. later ... FREEZE! Had reboot via power cycling. 

So, again my questions to the TB community are: 

Have there been other accounts of TB simply freezing?
And during which operation did it freeze.
Hi 13hm13,
The only suggestion I still have is: don’t underestimate the required current for a SSD. It seemed that your problems started when transferring files to your Ssd. Their power use cannot be neglected.
I also use the micro USB to power my Tinker Board. I have no problems whatsoever for many hours. But I don’t have a SSD connected.
Maybe you can test your tinker board without the SSD justo check..?
Good luck!
A happy Armbian Tinkerer.

O, and switch your SD card, if possible. SBCs are known to be critical when it comes to the proper SD card.