This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor video in Armbian Bionic
I'm using a Dell 22" monitor. Connecting to TB via hdmi to dvi cable. I am using the default TB heatsink, and a RPi case with fan and a high-quality 5.25v/3.0 amp adapter. 

Using even low-resource video-playback apps, like Celluloid, I get quite poor (choppy) video in anything above 480.  Esp if I "Full Screen" it.

This regardless of whether I'm streaming (YouTube) or playing a saved avi or mp4 file.

I had assumed TB would be v. good at video playback given the ASUS product page report and many "independent" reviews. I have not found this to be the case.

I did briefly try TinkerOS, but that turned out to be unreliable. Armbian seem to be somewhat better, but video may be the same as TOS.
Video acceleration must be supported in application.

We developed a POC:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7262-rk3...nkerboard/
but implementing it is stalled for several months ... we finance R&D 100% with our private resources which means it will probably stay this way.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.