This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powering Tinker Board S Issues
I have been struggling to power my Tinker Board S through the GPIO pins.

I have the board running Tinker OS Android and when I apply 5v to the board the red power indicator LED lights up however it never enters boot.

Why would this be happening I am using one of these:

--ww.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/dc-dc-voltage-step-down-converter-module-for-ardui?gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d6XhgGeZIwgoly9p5OjkGpP76j_YEe7lpgChQmzwofrE6wFBSCLKExoCBvcQAvD_BwE

It should be providing 5v with 3A which should be more than enough.

Please help!
Are you able to boot the board with Micro USB AC?
(11-20-2020, 01:29 AM)leslie_yu Wrote: Are you able to boot the board with Micro USB AC?

Yes Boots from Micro USB with an adapter just fine.
Hi Christian,

I've asked the same question to Asus developers and they gave me this response:

Quote:Kindly refer below are the cautions for using Power input:
The power input from the micro USB:
  • The electrical character of the USB power source is +5V@3A +/- 5% which means it provides 15W from micro USB power input.
The power input from GPIO pins (pin2 and pin4):
  1. Please ensure the electrical character of the DC power source that supplies to GPIO pin is +5V@3A +/- 5% each pin; i.e. GPIO pin2 and pin4, VCC5V_SYS; which means it provides 30W totally from GPIO pins.
  2. GND (Ground) pin would suggest connecting from the GPIO pin as well; such as pin6, 9, 14, 20, 25, 30, 34 and 39. If you’re using 2 power input (pin2 and pin4), 2 GND pins connected is recommended.
NOTE:
  • The maximum power is 30W. It would not be provided 45W when power input comes from micro-USB and GPIO pins together.
  • Avoiding Two-DC power sources supply to Tinker board thru micro-USB connector and GPIO (pin 2 and 4) simultaneously.
  • It might be damaged Tinker board if the power source is over the power rating (+5V@3A +/-5%) division.
Hope it helps.
(11-20-2020, 01:46 AM)Christian_Connect Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 01:29 AM)leslie_yu Wrote: Are you able to boot the board with Micro USB AC?

Yes Boots from Micro USB with an adapter just fine.
When you powered up the board via GPIO, was micro USB connected to anything else such as PC?
When you saw the red LED lighted up, was it kept lights up or it would be on and off?