This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Tinkerboard 2S
My Tinkerboard S2 finally arrived. Unfortunatly I must report that it doesn’t work... When I put power to it the red LED (Power) comes on but the monitor reports "No Signal". 

I'm not new to Tinkerboards. Presently I am operating four, two of the original Tinkerboards and two of the Tinkerboard S. Two run Android and two are running Debian. I’m no guru, but I can get them up and running. 

When my Tinkerboard 2S arrived, I attached the antennae and heatsink. I built a temporary stand for it to aid in cooling and to prevent it shorting. I hooked up the monitor through the HDMI port and a mouse through an USB port. I took a SD Micro card, that has Debian burned to it, from one of my older Tinkerboards and put it into the 2S. I set my power supply to 15v @ 3A and plugged it in. 

The red LED (power) came on, but the monitor continued to indicate "No Signal". I cycled the power but still “No Signal”. 

I have tried three different monitor and HMDI cable combinations to no effect. I have tried two different SD Cards, one Debian, one Android still no change. These cards work perfectly in my other Tinkerboards, so I'm sure the problem is not in the SD Cards or the OS on them. 

I believe that the Tinkerboard 2S is not booting. On power-up the red LED (Power) lights up, but the green LED (Disk) does not. On my other Tinkerboards the green LED (Disk) flickers on and off during the boot sequence. 

I have reached the end of my tricks… Any advise would be appreciated... 

Aloha, 

Dead Henry
Are you sure the Tinkerboard 2S is backwards compatible with Debian/Android from the previous series? I would suggest looking on ASUS site for images meant for the 2(S).
[-] The following 1 user Likes jschwart's post:
  • dead henry
(04-17-2021, 09:08 PM)jschwart Wrote: Are you sure the Tinkerboard 2S is backwards compatible with Debian/Android from the previous series? I would suggest looking on ASUS site for images meant for the 2(S).

Thanks jschwart... You were right on the money. I had thought that I may need to run an OS that was tweeked for the 2S, but was avoiding doing so because it involved breathing live back into an old Win97 machine of mine to get at my Etcher program. So after burning in the Debian modified for the 2S, it booted just fine. 

Tinkerboard 2S... Seems a bit faster. Not happy about losing the audio jack (sometimes I like to plug in the headphones). I understand the 2S is optimized for Android so that's next. 

Thanks again.

Aloha,

DH
You're welcome! Glad you got it to work! A USB to audio jack plug should be cheap I suppose. I would suggest also looking into Armbian if you're really serious with the board Wink

(04-18-2021, 05:08 AM)dead henry Wrote: was avoiding doing so because it involved breathing live back into an old Win97 machine of mine to get at my Etcher program.

You know that Etcher runs on quite a few systems right? It just does a bit-for-bit copy of the image just like dd (which you can use as well). I've even used my Tinker Board itself to do this in the past.