This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu on the Tinker Board
Reinstalled TB OS 2.0.5 to fix the qbittorrent installation. Then reinstalled this chromium update. Now even Netflix doesn't work (red circle) followed by numerous OS crashes / bsod's.
What a waste of time.
When a site require a newer version of chrome
in the command line change it to 

Code:
chromium --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS armv7l 6946.63.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/63.0.3239.84 Safari/537.36"

changing the 45.0.2357.130 into 63.0.3239.84
for matching the installed version of chromium

and no more newer version required
The version change command does indeed work for Netflix.
However, the TBOS continues to crash regularly, I cannot bring up Chrome settings (both chromes crash in settings) - the page crashes, and Amazon Prime Video does not run. Tried installing Firefox apt-get install firefox, but the install failed.
This board is 2 steps forward, and 2 steps back.
(04-27-2018, 05:45 PM)bbortnick Wrote: The version change command does indeed work for Netflix.
However, the TBOS continues to crash regularly, I cannot bring up Chrome settings (both chromes crash in settings) - the page crashes, and Amazon Prime Video does not run. Tried installing Firefox apt-get install firefox, but the install failed.
This board is 2 steps forward, and 2 steps back.
True, Amazon Prime Video does not run.
When can we expect a Chrome version that will run Netflix and Amazon Prime? The standard version included with v2.0.6 won't run them. I understand the old "install this fix", but it won't run Amazon Prime. Is it not possible to include this patch to the package list?
installed 2.0.7 and installed the netflix patch and then used the link as posted above by cissou, and netflix seems to work fine, plus i dont seem to notice youtube pausing anymore

chromium --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS armv7l 6946.63.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/63.0.3239.84 Safari/537.36"
Thanks, Z80. That means it will run Netflix but not Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime (as I see it) requires Chrome version 64 or greater to run.
I am uploading test library files, they have been taken from the latest chromeos image. it includes pepper flash and libwidevinecdm.so. From what I've gathered from reading through here is that people are having problems supporting amazon because it requires a newer chromium version. There's nothing I can do about that. There was someone somewhere that had custom builds of chromium for arm devices that enabled widevine and such, but I don't know where I found that and if he even has an updated one.

test files will be put in first post if anyone wants to see if it makes a difference or allows amazon.
We're getting close! The latest upgrade installs Chromium v67, which should be capable of running Amazon, but it doesn't. It starts Amazon Prime, and looks like it will start a video then throws a "update required" message.

I used the original package from the OP, but commented out the chromium v63 dpkg install in install.sh. With the widevine and pepper install, it will run Netflix.

I got even farther with Amazon just now. I believe it is the /usr/share/applications/chromium-user.desktop file. It is apparently this line:
Code:
Exec=/usr/bin/chromium --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS armv7l 6946.63.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2357.130 Safari/537.36" %U
I changed it to Chrome/67.0.3396.87, and it starts without throwing the "update required" message, but can't start the video. It pops up a box with "video unavailable" and a link to a page that says something about the Chrome web player.

Edit: I got it to work with both Netflix and Amazon. I don't have Hulu. Install the original package from the OP (with the Chrome dpkg) per the directions.
Open /usr/share/applications/chromium-user.desktop with a text editor.
Locate the Exec= line like above and change
Chrome/45.0.2357.130
to
Chrome/67.0.3396.87

Reboot.
Select the Internet -> Chromium web browser (user)
(07-02-2018, 08:55 PM)SurferTim Wrote: We're getting close! The latest upgrade installs Chromium v67, which should be capable of running Amazon, but it doesn't. It starts Amazon Prime, and looks like it will start a video then throws a "update required" message.

I used the original package from the OP, but commented out the chromium v63 dpkg install in install.sh. With the widevine and pepper install, it will run Netflix.

I got even farther with Amazon just now. I believe it is the /usr/share/applications/chromium-user.desktop file. It is apparently this line:
Code:
Exec=/usr/bin/chromium --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS armv7l 6946.63.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2357.130 Safari/537.36" %U
I changed it to Chrome/67.0.3396.87, and it starts without throwing the "update required" message, but can't start the video. It pops up a box with "video unavailable" and a link to a page that says something about the Chrome web player.

Edit: I got it to work with both Netflix and Amazon. I don't have Hulu. Install the original package from the OP (with the Chrome dpkg) per the directions.
Open /usr/share/applications/chromium-user.desktop with a text editor.
Locate the Exec= line like above and change
Chrome/45.0.2357.130
to
Chrome/67.0.3396.87

Reboot.
Select the Internet -> Chromium web browser (user)

Thank you, I've updated the original post with this fix and included the updated libraries. I couldn't test Amazon but Netflix worked without a problem.