This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working on Android TV image, need root - any help?
Hey all, please see screenshots. Working on making the most current IMG of Android through Asus run as an Android TV.

Whats working:

- Leanback Keyboard
- Google Play Leanback Store, not the tablet store
- Controller support for navigation
- Voice command (test with web cam)
- Runs Leanback apps

No force closes or Play Store closes. YouTube and Google Apps run with Google Framework.

What isn't:
- Leanback Launcher, currently using HAL and skinning for Leanback
- Need root to remove system bar and nav bar

So.... who wants to help root this baby. Let me know and lets collaborate to build an Android TV system image for distro.[Image: 18768343_1518619248172053_54754279669285...e=59A0D52A][Image: 18766597_1518618438172134_20747472811022...e=59A1A595][Image: 18739082_1518619044838740_32796027283716...e=59B21ECC]
[Image: 18893476_1518619041505407_75118911733109...e=59E9CF03][Image: 18814937_1518619251505386_54906010297975...e=59B87A56][Image: 18880103_1518619034838741_40043518868096...e=59EA4329]
Come on peoples help this dude out! would be a great addition to the tinker android saga! sorry but i have zero skills in this are or i'd help ya myself.
Great work, looks promising. 
There is already a thread talking about rooting Android. Steps should be activate developer mode, adb as root and install SuperSu.
Unfortunately i have no experience in this area, however, i would love to help out in testing the software.
You still need help on this? I have a almost fully functional Android TV with root. Took me about a day and half of trial and error. The only thing not working for me is the recommendations... or maybe it just doens't have any for me yet. The last real thing I'm puzzled on is getting dts or ac3 passthrough to my receiver.

Files: http://www.mediafire.com/file/d0uqc5o1bu...erFiles.7z

Code:
Needs:
build.prop
playservices.apk
playstore.apk
gsf.apk
tv_core_hardware.xml
tv_features.xml
NoTouchAuthDelegate.apk
supersu.zip of your choice not apk
adb & fastbook quick

NOTE: I've gone back and chmod 644 on all of these files unless specified otherwise.  I'm not sure if it's required but I'm working.

1. adb connect IP
2. adb root
3. adb connect IP
4. adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
4a. adb push build.prop /system/build.prop  (ensure you have a backup of yours)
5. adb push playstore.apk /system/priv-app/
6. adb push playservices.apk /system/priv-app/
7. adb push gsf.apk /system/priv-app/
8. adb install -r playservices.apk (from local machine even though we pushed already.  It helped not sure why)
9. unzip playservices.apk, move all files from lib/armeabi-v7a via push to /system/lib/.  Make sure you chmod 644
10. reboot
11. repeat 1-4
12. adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
13. adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION
14. Allow all permissions to google services and play in your settings. DON'T Launch Yet!
15. push  "tv_core_hardware.xml" and "tv_features.xml" files to system/ect/permissions and chmod 644
16. push NoTouchAuthDelegate.apk /system/app/  and chmod 644

Install Root
17. Follow fatih's post here https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/thread-264.html or below
In order to root Android you need to follow steps described at http://selvaline.blogspot.com.tr/2015/09...d-via.html

Quote:You need to download the zip file from the official site and inspect it. This is a flashable from recovery zip file. Extract it into a folder, then navigate to META-INF/com/google/android and open the update-binary script file. From this file you can see where each single binary have to go in your Android's file system.

Below you can find full script I used to root my device;

Code:
adb shell "mount -o remount,rw /system"

adb push common/Superuser.apk /system/app/SuperSU/SuperSU.apk  
adb shell chmod 0644 /system/app/SuperSU/SuperSU.apk  
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/app/SuperSU/SuperSU.apk

adb push common/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh  
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
adb shell chcon u:object_r:toolbox_exec:s0 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

adb push armv7/su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/xbin/su

adb push armv7/su /system/bin/.ext/.su
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/.ext/.su
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/bin/.ext/.su

adb push armv7/su /system/xbin/daemonsu
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/daemonsu
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/xbin/daemonsu

adb push armv7/su /system/xbin/sugote
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/sugote
adb shell chcon u:object_r:zygote_exec:s0 /system/xbin/sugote

adb push armv7/supolicy /system/xbin/supolicy
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/supolicy
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/xbin/supolicy

adb push armv7/libsupol.so /system/lib(64)/libsupol.so
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/lib\(64\)/libsupol.so
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/lib\(64\)/libsupol.so

adb shell touch /system/etc/.installed_su_daemon
adb shell chmod 0644 /system/etc/.installed_su_daemon
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/etc/.installed_su_daemon

adb shell cp /system/bin/sh /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/xbin/sugote-mksh

adb shell cp /system/bin/app_process32 /system/bin/app_process32_original
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/app_process32_original
adb shell chcon u:object_r:zygote_exec:s0 /system/bin/app_process32_original

adb shell mv /system/bin/app_process /system/bin/app_process_original
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/app_process_original
adb shell chcon u:object_r:zygote_exec:s0 /system/bin/app_process_original

adb shell mv /system/bin/app_process32 /system/bin/app_process_init
adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/app_process_init
adb shell chcon u:object_r:system_file:s0 /system/bin/app_process_init

adb shell ln -s /system/xbin/daemonsu /system/bin/app_process
adb shell ln -s /system/xbin/daemonsu /system/bin/app_process32

adb shell ln -s /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/bin/install-recovery.sh

18. I went 1 step further and ran the install script and then rebooted and updated my binaries.
/system/xbin/su --install

19. repeat 1-4
20. sudo push LeanbackLauncher.apk /system/priv-app/LeanbackLauncher/LeanbackLauncher.apk and chmod 644
21. additional step, I downloaded gapps for stock android tv, extracted all of the tar.lz until i as left with either app, common, or priv-app folders.  I took all of the subfolders of app and priv-app, moved them to /system/app or /system/priv-app and chmod 644. I don't think this made a difference.
22. Log into your google play
23. Log into your google play on your computers web browser.  Search Android TV and push basic android apps to your new device.  Google search, talkback youtube for android tv.  This is the only way I got search working and apps functional.
I tried everything you said above and have everything working except for tvsetting working. What I mean is there is no setting at the bottom. It's all empty. I tried pushing TvSettings.apk from the nexus img and also the fire tv android tv tvsetting.apk with no luck. When I push SettingsProvider.apk from the nexus player, the tinker board won't boot anymore. So avoiding it for now. Anyone with any luck?
Is this a dead project?
If it helps, there is a version of a slimmed down android TV launcher that works on the amazon fireTV. I will give it a shot to see if it works on this....

https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv...v-t3750451
does anyone from above have an image i could flash to continue work on this?

do you have a working image i could flash for this?

would like to continue working on this

thanks