This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working on Android TV image, need root - any help?
(02-07-2020, 08:15 AM)JPX87 Wrote: Hello CypherDR,

I tell you that you are well ahead.

I think I sent you the link but I saw it myself.

Here is the link :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-...67589/amp/

thank you and congratulations again

Thanks for sharing the link again. Will give that a try sometime, consumed by WIP on my end. Not ready to roll this out yet, but wanted to share more progress. I used TeamViewer and Screen2Gif to record this. Please excuse the fast playback speed, performance is much better than what you see.

[Image: N6hcRYd.png]

[Image: IgTQDS8.png]

[Image: 0h46LGk.png]
Regards,
CypherDR
anyone tryed this on the Tinker Board S?
This looks impressive! Is HDMI-CEC working?
(02-13-2020, 06:38 PM)micksel Wrote: anyone tryed this on the Tinker Board S?

Hi,

I haven't released this yet. I don't own a Tinker Board S to confirm, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Most TB owner's use the same images released by Asus if I am not mistaken. I have a few more bugs to work out before posting a link for all to try. I am not a developer and am learning as I go. I am hoping to post a link for an image backup before March 2020.

(02-15-2020, 10:56 AM)jschwart Wrote: This looks impressive! Is HDMI-CEC working?

Thanks, hope it lives up to the appearance of "impressive"  Big Grin.

HDMI-CEC I am not sure. But thanks for pointing that out as something to investigate and confirm. Here are examples of some issues that I need to resolve before sharing:
  • This release includes the default Settings.apk and the TvSettings.apk. If I try removing the Settings.apk you will loose access to development tools. I will keep looking for ways to only use TvSettings, but for now both have to be in place. The issue with both being in place is you are asked to set one as default on each startup/restart of the TB. Both scenarios are annoying and I would like to address this before releasing.
  • The image contains an earlier version of the PlayStore that only allows installation/updates of certain apps. Once upgraded to the latest version, navigation performance is poor and you cant access menu items like Settings, My Apps, etc. I can still search and install/update with this version, but the performance is below acceptable. Not sure how to fix this yet and still trying to figure it out.
  • Using a 3rd party usb remote with voice search and power functions. Tinker Board will power down, but no power up.
  • Screensaver function puts TB to sleep, and no screensaver will run/load if you set the"Inactivity" timeout. If you test the screensavers manually, they all work. (just found https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-2220.html and will try mrtatertot's advice)
  • Will add HDMI-CEC to testing. I am using an Asus PC monitor that has built-in speakers for testing. Will need to graduate to a television that supports HDMI-CEC functionality to verify.
Any advice/tips on how to get past some of these obstacles is welcome.

Regards,
CypherDR.
Regards,
CypherDR
Thank you, this is very helpful for me!
does android tv remote work with this setup? play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tv.remote&hl=en
Hello,

Is it posible too  download, a ready img?

Greetings
(03-12-2020, 07:15 PM)broman Wrote: does android tv remote work with this setup? play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.tv.remote&hl=en

Added TVRemoteService to build and will confirm! Big Grin

(02-15-2020, 10:56 AM)jschwart Wrote: This looks impressive! Is HDMI-CEC working?

After further research, HDMI-CEC is only supported OOB (out-of-box) on Tinkerboad S models. Originals require modification of the board itself by adding some components. From a build standpoint, I need to fix permissions for ATV to access/use HDMI-CEC. Will update when I make progress.

(03-26-2020, 10:27 PM)pumuckl Wrote: Hello,

Is it posible too  download, a ready img?

Greetings

If I can get past a few more bugs, a ready img will be available. No ETA until I fix a few bugs. All depends on what I can learn, and what help I get from the community.

Not far from a finished release, but user experience is important. I don't just want to throw something out there.

It needs to be useful to all TB owners!

Soon enough though.
Regards,
CypherDR
Happy Saturday community...

Sharing a glimpse of progress:

See you when more updates are available or release is ready!
Regards,
CypherDR
Netflix TV working? Big Grin