This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinkerboard production ?
The German IT news site heise wrote an article today, claiming that several distributors mentioned, that the production of the Tinkerboard has already stopped. German link here:
https://www.heise.de/make/meldung/Tinker...62928.html

They come to the conclusion, that the hardware is very promising, but as with other Raspi clones, the software is faulty/not well maintained yet. Since the distributors' claim of the production stop they say, that the software is unlikely to improve.

I've seen Asus people visiting this forum (at least the username says so) - could you comment on this?
I own a Tinkerboard and I love the CPU speed for intensive tasks. It would be so sad if Asus would stop this. The official Asus Twitter account @ASUSUSA twittered a picture of the board just 3 days ago. Could be a hint that they still care for it?!
Every information is welcome.
and there's me hovering on the buy button.....over the last week or so

* A Linaro Dist.....No source tree/developer forums/apt upgrade ?...huh!
* No upgrade log/time line/no comms whatsoever.....stackem high sell em expensive and hope for the best ?
* no audio....
* no 4k (upscale isn't counted!, my Receiver does that at 1080p)
* no acceleration wtf h264/5 vital.........
* no Usb3 (Althought that isn't the end of the world but come on!)

and now this...nail+coffin....

****Heise article update.......[ Update , 15:20 clock: Asus has assured us now that the production is continued uninterrupted.]
(03-24-2017, 02:05 PM)boudicca Wrote: * A Linaro Dist.....No source tree/developer forums/apt upgrade ?...huh!
* No upgrade log/time line/no comms whatsoever.....stackem high sell em expensive and hope for the best ?
* no audio....
* no 4k (upscale isn't counted!, my Receiver does that at 1080p)
* no acceleration wtf h264/5 vital.........
* no Usb3 (Althought that isn't the end of the world but come on!)

- Check out Armbian, I'm going to work on patching the mainline 4.11 in their build system, kernel 4.4.55 is already supported, after some hiccups with the bootloader.
- The audio works on Tinker OS 1.4 for me, I haven't gotten it to work on other distros as yet though.
- The "Rockchip Linux" build instruction give you a working 4K desktop.  Armbian starts 4K, however there was some artifacting on my monitor and I went back to 1080p.  I'll look at that after the kernel patch and sound.
- I believe the VPU is supported in Rockchip Linux.  Again, I've been working to get Armbian up and running, so I haven't experimented too much with Rockchip Linux
-Set top boxes don't need USB 3, so it is quite rare.  The only SBC I have with USB 3 is the Odroid XU4, a cell phone/tablet processor.  SoC's with such support are quite spendy, it would drive a much higher price tag and would most likely have next to no Linux support (XU4 has amazingly been moved up to Kernel 4.9 officially)
There is an upgrade in the article on top now that states that Asus has officially replied and stated that production continues normally.
bullet bitten...it better be good....dissed buying another RPI3, that 20quid difference better be worth it Smile