This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RetroPie on the Tinker Board
(03-09-2018, 01:25 PM)kherny Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 09:48 PM)Crash Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 11:07 AM)kherny Wrote: Hi, great work on getting retropie onto the tinker board. I am having an issue tho I get no sound output thro hdmi into my tv using 0.6.5  Same setup works no problem with the stock 2.0.4 on a duplicate type sd card. On the retropie image I can hear the intro video sound no problem but when it gets past that into the menu or using any roms or the desktop there is nothing.

Is this intended? Or if not any clue as to how I can sort it? I have looked thro the thread and can not see anything that helps.

thx.

i would re-burn the image, there is actually background music running. you can also try to force teh sound back to the hdmi via the tinker config.

Strange thing. I reburned the same image again, same problem.  Redownloaded the image burned it and tried again, same problem. Different card, same problem. Then just messing about I went into the desktop from retropie just to look at the settings and logged out which took me back to retropie, the background music and game sounds then started and have been on since even after reboot.

edit - Trying it again.       After removing the card to try a different os card. I started up the retropie image again and no sound once again. Same trick works tho. Going to desktop logging out and back to retropie enables the hdmi audio. There is no sound in the retropie desktop tho for anything.

WOW that is strange. I'll re-burn the image and see if i can recreate the bug. but the good news is you also found a fix if it does happen again or to some one else.
Swing by the: RotT FaceBook Group and join for even more help, trick, and tips.

Swing by My YouTube Channel if you get a chance.

(03-09-2018, 07:39 PM)Crash Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 11:07 AM)kherny Wrote: Hi, great work on getting retropie onto the tinker board. I am having an issue tho I get no sound output thro hdmi into my tv using 0.6.5  Same setup works no problem with the stock 2.0.4 on a duplicate type sd card. On the retropie image I can hear the intro video sound no problem but when it gets past that into the menu or using any roms or the desktop there is nothing.

Is this intended? Or if not any clue as to how I can sort it? I have looked thro the thread and can not see anything that helps.

thx.

i would re-burn the image, there is actually background music running. you can also try to force teh sound back to the hdmi via the tinker config.

Strange thing. I reburned the same image again, same problem.  Redownloaded the image burned it and tried again, same problem. Different card, same problem. Then just messing about I went into the desktop from retropie just to look at the settings and logged out which took me back to retropie, the background music and game sounds then started and have been on since even after reboot.

edit - Trying it again.       After removing the card to try a different os card. I started up the retropie image again and no sound once again. Same trick works tho. Going to desktop logging out and back to retropie enables the hdmi audio. There is no sound in the retropie desktop tho for anything.

WOW that is strange. I'll re-burn the image and see if i can recreate the bug. but the good news is you also found a fix if it does happen again or to some one else.

Little bit more info that might help you:

The desktop accessed thro retropie has no sound at all. Including browsers, youtube etc.. The retropie image has no sound also initially but upon switching between the desktop and retropie the sound returns, very slightly crackly but fine. I have switched cards, hdmi cables to no effect. (A seperate tinkeros image works fine as does androidos with no audio hdmi problems.)  Switching back and forth between retropie and the desktop fixes the sound for the gaming side but has no effect on the desktop part. I do notice a message on the left side of the screen saying something like "alsa underrun" at various points but its hard to catch as its gone in a flash at various points of using the image. I have tried to force hdmi thro tinker config to no effect.

Picture of sound icon on normal tinkeros  -  https://photos.app.goo.gl/tJykOHMm9b88dGx23

Picture of sound icon on retropie desktop - https://photos.app.goo.gl/TA5V2UBxnqlaNYyi2

Hope it helps.

When I first access the desktop the volume icon is dark and set at 100%, it is set to default with a choice of onboard usb or default.
(03-10-2018, 09:58 AM)kherny Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 07:39 PM)Crash Wrote:

thx.
Just to confirm i have this problem too from the start is there a new image out soon with new updates?

Little bit more info that might help you:

The desktop accessed thro retropie has no sound at all. Including browsers, youtube etc.. The retropie image has no sound also initially but upon switching between the desktop and retropie the sound returns, very slightly crackly but fine. I have switched cards, hdmi cables to no effect. (A seperate tinkeros image works fine as does androidos with no audio hdmi problems.)  Switching back and forth between retropie and the desktop fixes the sound for the gaming side but has no effect on the desktop part. I do notice a message on the left side of the screen saying something like "alsa underrun" at various points but its hard to catch as its gone in a flash at various points of using the image. I have tried to force hdmi thro tinker config to no effect.

Picture of sound icon on normal tinkeros  -  https://photos.app.goo.gl/tJykOHMm9b88dGx23

Picture of sound icon on retropie desktop - https://photos.app.goo.gl/TA5V2UBxnqlaNYyi2

Hope it helps.

When I first access the desktop the volume icon is dark and set at 100%,  it is set to default with a choice of onboard usb or default.
Ok, side projects Caught up. I'll be jumping back on this shorty.

(03-15-2018, 08:07 PM)Crash Wrote: Ok, side projects Caught up. I'll be jumping back on this shorty.

Its been a while is there a new beta release due soon my tinkernoard is gettong hungry.
It saddens me to say this but there will be no improvements on the Tinker Board image. Not without rockchip, Asus, and retropie support. Not without a working driver set and kernels, and definitely not just two guys working on it. The best image (which will never get any better due to this fact) is the Rott 0.6.5 image.

Until that changes that is where we are.

I have personally tried every image os for the Tinker Board and I cannot get things to cross compile. I have almost begged everyone that I can think of that could help. They are either to busy or it was beneath them to bother.

Well I tried. I am at my wits end.

Here is to unhappy Gaming. Well on retropie anyway. I'll be on android for now till something changes.

(03-18-2018, 10:58 PM)Crash Wrote: It saddens me to say this but there will be no improvements on the Tinker Board image. Not without rockchip, Asus, and retropie support. Not without a working driver set and kernels, and definitely not just two guys working on it. The best image (which will never get any better due to this fact) is the Rott 0.6.5 image.

I have personally tried every image os for the Tinker Board and I cannot get things to cross compile. I have almost begged everyone that I can think of that could help. They are either to busy or it was beneath them to bother.

Here is to unhappy Gaming. Well on retropie anyway. I'll be on android for now till something changes.

hell no ! I can't accept this ! comon ! are you at least going to leave the forum up and running ? omg I am so annoyed, I know it isn't you guy's fault that's why it's even more annoying. OMG
(03-18-2018, 11:58 PM)Sam Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 10:58 PM)Crash Wrote: It saddens me to say this but there will be no improvements on the Tinker Board image. Not without rockchip, Asus, and retropie support. Not without a working driver set and kernels, and definitely not just two guys working on it. The best image (which will never get any better due to this fact) is the Rott 0.6.5 image.

hell no ! I can't accept this ! comon ! are you at least going to leave the forum up and running ? omg I am so annoyed, I know it isn't you guy's fault that's why it's even more annoying. OMG

I'm not going anywhere. I have just done all I can do. the forum and my support for this project will not go away. I have just tried all images to-date. i can't get anything to go any further. ASUS really screwed the pooch on this one. I have no idea what they  were thinking not at least making stable OS's for the board. the increased price point of the new S is not justified  when you can't run anything on it. this board has so much potential but the lack of anything is going to kill any future the ASUS sbc line. 

I'm just at the end of the road, i watch the tinker stuff like a hawk. if something changes I'll get back to it. but as of now. only one image partially works. I do have to say that with out optimized gpu drivers, this board still screams. 

Think of this more as a hiatus. It not over. I'm just waiting. forever waiting. lol

what's the best image to use on the tinker ? I currently use armbian and it's pretty good
(03-19-2018, 02:46 PM)Sam Wrote: what's the best image to use on the tinker ? I currently use armbian and it's pretty good

Like in general, any that you can get working at this point.