This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RetroPie on the Tinker Board
(10-19-2018, 03:30 AM)Crash Wrote: Yes it is frustrating, it’s been a couple of years now and there is still no support from ASUS really. The community has picked up the slack. It took us a year and a half to get a half way decent retropie build. And it is still just so-so.  Maybe a different screen or board might be better than the headache.  I truly wish I could be more help.

Thank you for the honest feedback.  I do appreciate everything the group has done to make RetroPie run on this board.  I'm disappointed in Asus's lack of support.  I do think it's best for my daughter that I get a PI, something a little more plug and play.  She wants to play so bad and doesn't understand what it takes to set things up.

Thank you again for the feedback.
ROTT v1.0.5b

Link is in the description of the video. No roms in image. Let me know if any issues.

No sound, how do I fix? 

For the audio fix you’ll need to currently make a change in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf setting the defaults.pcm.card 1 to defaults.pcm.card 0

In terminal type: 

sudo nano /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

Then Change

defaults.pcm.card to 1

To

defaults.pcm.card to 0

Save, exit, and reboot.

https://youtu.be/a9VsEU1nW0Y

Swing by the: RotT FaceBook Group and join for even more help, trick, and tips.

Swing by My YouTube Channel if you get a chance.

[-] The following 3 users Like Crash's post:
  • EllpopeT, ig0rok, markiemarcus
For all guys, which have just a blackscreen at Armbian install/boot. Plug out your HDMI from Tinkerboard, insert the card, insert power-cable and wait for orange and green lights, then you can plug your HDMI into the Tinkerboard. At this Monitor you have to do it everytime if you want to boot retropie or you will find out, how to fix it.
I have this problem only at my WQHD 165hz Monitor. My 3 TVs works fine without plug out the HDMI.
If somebody know how to fix this problem, let me know it.

Sorry for my bad english, not my language.
(12-04-2018, 03:20 PM)myltlpwny Wrote: For all guys, which have just a blackscreen at Armbian install/boot. Plug out your HDMI from Tinkerboard, insert the card, insert power-cable and wait for orange and green lights, then you can plug your HDMI into the Tinkerboard. At this Monitor you have to do it everytime if you want to boot retropie or you will find out, how to fix it.
I have this problem only at my WQHD 165hz Monitor. My 3 TVs works fine without plug out the HDMI.
If somebody know how to fix this problem, let me know it.

Sorry for my bad english, not my language.

I have an older TV that I was having the same problem with, it didn't like the default 1080P and would display nothing. The biggest help was changing the HDMI cable. I had nice HDMI 1.4 cables and switched to an older HDMI cable which fixed the black screen, I found my answer to resolution issues in this post.
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/3749-how...ment=66311

To check what resolution your HDMI port is currently running at, run this command:

tinkerboard:~$ cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/mode

FINALLY I found this string that worked..

edit and add this line to /boot/armbianENV.txt

extraargs=drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/640x480.bin video=HDMI-A-1:640x480@60

...where the bolded areas are the resolution you need your HDMI port to output.

For example... My /boot/armbianENV.txt says:

verbosity=1
ethaddr=06:e6:ad:01:69:00
fdt_file=rk3288-miniarm.dtb
console=ttyS3,115200n8
rootdev=UUID=264bd30a-7801-4773-82c9-6060cc9b1a3e
extraargs=drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/1280x720.bin video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720@60
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

my /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/mode now says:

pi@tinkerboard:~$ cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/mode
1280x720p60
Just FYI, Kodi will run on ROTT 1.05b by using the info (last post basically) on this link tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-511.html.  For some reason it will only run it after exiting ES using "startx kodi" at the command line or "startx kodi" after the "emulationstation" line in the autostart.sh script, but at least it will run with minimal "tinkering".  I'm sure it has something to do with nodm and startx and Kodi, but I'll leave that one to the pros to figure out.
So  I have run into a couple issues here.

Im using my 8-bitdo sn30 pro controller and I have to set the buttons for input each time I start up and it works in the emulation station menus but not in game. I have tried going into retroarch settings and mapping the buttons too but thats no help.

Also having an issue with viewing the roms on my usb, I have multiple systems of games on the usb but only one system plus half of another systems games are showing up in the emulation station.

And now i am having the issue of losing controller input when i come back to emulation station from anything outside of ES (config editor, retroarch, retropie setup, etc.)

Edited: figured out the issue, I was using a usb from an old build and it somehow corrupted the system.  I reflashed and wiped the USB and started from scratch and that fixed the problem.

However I am having a new issue: ppsspp is having control input issues.  I tried remapping the buttons in ppsspp but it doesnt seem to fix the problem. The d pad and analog sticks do nothing in the ppsspp menus and every time I exit back to ES, it does't save what I mapped anyway.

Anyone have any tips regarding this?
(01-09-2019, 06:18 AM)JatheJester Wrote: So  I have run into a couple issues here.

Im using my 8-bitdo sn30 pro controller and I have to set the buttons for input each time I start up and it works in the emulation station menus but not in game. I have tried going into retroarch settings and mapping the buttons too but thats no help.

Also having an issue with viewing the roms on my usb, I have multiple systems of games on the usb but only one system plus half of another systems games are showing up in the emulation station.

And now i am having the issue of losing controller input when i come back to emulation station from anything outside of ES (config editor, retroarch, retropie setup, etc.)

Edited: figured out the issue, I was using a usb from an old build and it somehow corrupted the system.  I reflashed and wiped the USB and started from scratch and that fixed the problem.

However I am having a new issue: ppsspp is having control input issues.  I tried remapping the buttons in ppsspp but it doesnt seem to fix the problem. The d pad and analog sticks do nothing in the ppsspp menus and every time I exit back to ES, it does't save what I mapped anyway.

Anyone have any tips regarding this?

Sadly I don’t have that controller to test for you. Hopefully someone will swing by with a fix. My PS3 controller doesn’t have that issue. Which version of ROTT are you using?
Swing by the: RotT FaceBook Group and join for even more help, trick, and tips.

Swing by My YouTube Channel if you get a chance.

(01-13-2019, 07:05 PM)Crash Wrote: Sadly I don’t have that controller to test for you. Hopefully someone will swing by with a fix. My PS3 controller doesn’t have that issue. Which version of ROTT are you using?

Hey Crash, its 1.0.5b