This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heatsink & Cooling
If I were to buy a TB I would want to OC it for max performance for emulation... and it would need better cooling. So I wonder if this would fit? A 50x25mm heatsink seems to fit IF the components inside the red area are not higher than the CPU... Anyone know? If they are similar I guess you could use thermal adhesive to glue a copper shim to the CPU and heatsink?

[Image: asustinker1.jpg]

Anyone got some good cooling solutions to share (inc pics) ??
I have decided to use a small fan above the official heat sink. Please have a look to attachment. Just google for fan for raspberry pi.
Now I have temperatures lower than 50°C (without fan 70°C to 80°C).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

They clear bearly. Buy a copper plate of 3 to 5 mm thick and use that as a spacer.
I have asked ASUS for a better heatsink. I use SBC's while camping, a fan isn't a good solution for that.
A bigger better heatsink would make it a way better board. Like my Odroid C2, it never overheats overclocked up to 1.75Ghz.
If ASUS doesn't want to make it for me, I'll have to make it myself.

This is how I want it to look like. I anyone has the skills to make this, I'll pay for it.

[Image: X8e0P63.png]
Greetings, N.A.D.
(08-31-2017, 10:12 AM)BadPritt Wrote: I have asked ASUS for a better heatsink. I use SBC's while camping, a fan isn't a good solution for that.
A bigger better heatsink would make it a way better board. Like my Odroid C2, it never overheats overclocked up to 1.75Ghz.
If ASUS doesn't want to make it for me, I'll have to make it myself.

This is how I want it to look like. I anyone has the skills to make this, I'll pay for it.

Greetings, N.A.D.

Did you ever get that heatsink to fit?
Hello Everybody!

This is my approach on passiv cooling:
Heatsink from an old socket 7 pentium MMX (50x50mm).
heat spreader block 8mm aluminium
plates 2mm aluminium
thermal grease on all surfaces
spacer length adjusted to get contact to the cpu surface

tinkerOS 2.0.3 Idle temp: 40°C
Sysbench max temp: 60°C

Best Regards,
James

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-17-2017, 06:06 AM)james watt Wrote: Hello Everybody!

This is my approach on passiv cooling:
Heatsink from an old socket 7 pentium MMX (50x50mm).
heat spreader block 8mm aluminium
plates 2mm aluminium
thermal grease on all surfaces
spacer length adjusted to get contact to the cpu surface

tinkerOS 2.0.3 Idle temp: 40°C
Sysbench max temp: 60°C

Best Regards,
James

Nice, I was wondering what was the maximum size heatsink that would fit, thanks.
I've used this company's heatsinks to increase the cooling on other SBCs.
https://www.micforg.co.jp/en/cat_ube.html
If the pad won't clear the nearby components vertically, use a copper pad.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282081252850

For my TB, I use active cooling like wappi recommends above. A 40mm fan.
(12-17-2017, 07:07 PM)SurferTim Wrote: I've used this company's heatsinks to increase the cooling on other SBCs.
https://www.micforg.co.jp/en/cat_ube.html
If the pad won't clear the nearby components vertically, use a copper pad.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282081252850

For my TB, I use active cooling like wappi recommends above. A 40mm fan.

Several Rpi users have used Liquid Nitrogen for extreme overclocking... Smile That is a bit over-the-top.
On my TB (and my Rpi3's) I used salvaged heatsinks (cut down) and small 12V fans running at 5V to keep the temps well under 45C. Your choice of case may (will) also have an effect - you may want to leave the top off or provide more holes for better air flow.  If you have a TB in an environment where noise does NOT matter, but reliablity does, consider stacking 2 fans.
Copper passive heatsink  Smile  55 degree max, after 10 min stress 100% load. Handmade without project.

[Image: P80627_200314.jpg]

[Image: P80627_200330.jpg]