This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I build Android image from Android SDK myself?
(03-09-2018, 03:21 AM)Vinci Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 01:52 AM)SBCJunkie Wrote: My tip would be to try build an image with mail drivers from 4.4 not 6.0 as the SDK for Android 6.0 on the RK3288 is a mess (Probably why Asus's current Android image is a mess)

Very surprised Asus haven't released an Android 4.4 image as it runs better than 6.0 on a RK3288

Why Android 4.4 is better than 6.0 on RK3288 ?

It just is sadly. Its all down to Rockchip. The 4.4 SDK has far less bugs and works better. One of the reasons why the GPD never put 6.0 on their XD, wasn't worth the hassle.

Vulcan support isn't till 7.0 sadly and I can't see Asus getting 7.0 to run because 7.0 is in a worse state than 6.0

Until Asus work closer with Rockchip (at the moment you can tell they are not) is when things will improve
(03-08-2018, 02:43 AM)jamess Wrote: Sorry, everybody
We have another easier way to download the source code from bitbucket. Please follow the below instuction

1. set your git account (if you already set it, you can skip this step)
    $ git config --global user.email "your@email.com"
    $ git config --global user.name "your name"

$ repo init -u https://git@bitbucket.org/TinkerBoard_An...nifest.git -b sbc/tinkerboard/asus/Android-6.0.1
    $ repo sync -c -d 

If anyone can download successfully, please info us, thanks.

Much appreciated if you can provide step by step procedures for the complete build, thanks!
(03-14-2018, 04:36 AM)samsonluk Wrote: Much appreciated if you can provide step by step procedures for the complete build, thanks!

We have a build SOP document at the below path.
[source code]/RKDocs/android_SOP_eng_6.0.1.docx
@jamess: At the final stage of the build, looks to me it is possible to generate an OTA image for the Tinker Board from mkimage.sh.  Can I make use of the output image to update the existing system and application software without writing a new sdcard? What would be the procedures for OTA upgrade? Thanks!

(03-07-2018, 09:58 PM)Jttierney Wrote: I haven't had a chance to try the source yet and I'm curious if anyone has tried it yet.

@Jttierney: Yes, succeeded! It took 4.7 hours on my HP N54L w/16GB RAM to build Android:
Code:
# time make -j8
Installed file list: Out/target/product/rk3288/installed-files.txt
Target system fs image: Out/target/product/rk3288/obj/PACKAGING/systemimage_intermediates/system.img
Running:  mkuserimg.sh -s Out/target/product/rk3288/system Out/target/product/rk3288/obj/PACKAGING/systemimage_intermediates/system.img ext4 system 1073741824 -D Out/target/product/rk3288/system -L system Out/target/product/rk3288/root/file_contexts
make_ext4fs -s -T -1 -S Out/target/product/rk3288/root/file_contexts -L system -l 1073741824 -a system Out/target/product/rk3288/obj/PACKAGING/systemimage_intermediates/system.img Out/target/product/rk3288/system Out/target/product/rk3288/system
Creating filesystem with parameters:
   Size: 1073741824
   Block size: 4096
   Blocks per group: 32768
   Inodes per group: 8192
   Inode size: 256
   Journal blocks: 4096
   Label: system
   Blocks: 262144
   Block groups: 8
   Reserved block group size: 63
Created filesystem with 1737/65536 inodes and 131713/262144 blocks
Install system fs image: Out/target/product/rk3288/system.img
Out/target/product/rk3288/system.img+Out/target/product/rk3288/obj/PACKAGING/recovery_patch_intermediates/recovery_from_boot.p maxsize=1096212480 blocksize=135168 total=525500744 reserve=11083776

#### make completed successfully (04:43:22 (hh:mm:ss)) ####
(03-17-2018, 12:42 AM)samsonluk Wrote: @jamess: At the final stage of the build, looks to me it is possible to generate an OTA image for the Tinker Board from mkimage.sh.  Can I make use of the output image to update the existing system and application software without writing a new sdcard? What would be the procedures for OTA upgrade? Thanks!

Hi, samsonluk
    OTA is a google native function , I think it should be work. But I need to say honestly, I have not tested the OTA function. We will try to test it.
(03-19-2018, 01:23 AM)jamess Wrote:     OTA is a google native function , I think it should be work. But I need to say honestly, I have not tested the OTA function. We will try to test it.

@jamess:
I've tried "adb reboot recovery" and found the stock recovery actually provide 2 options for apply the OTA update:
a) Apply update from ADB
b) Apply update from SD card

option a) is not possible because the Tinker Board Micro USB port is for power-in and cannot connect to a PC at the same time. Tried option b) and received the following error:

Code:
E: unknown volume for path [/sdcard]

-- Couldn't mount /sdcard.
Installation aborted.

Any idea why the stock recovery failed to mount the userdata partition? Hope this can be fixed in recovery so that OTA update for Tinker Board can be one step closer!

PS, there also is an option named "Mount /system" and this one can mount without error, just don't known what purpose of this function because there is no option to nevigate or browse the directory.
(03-19-2018, 05:35 AM)samsonluk Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 01:23 AM)jamess Wrote:     OTA is a google native function , I think it should be work. But I need to say honestly, I have not tested the OTA function. We will try to test it.

@jamess:
I've tried "adb reboot recovery" and found the stock recovery actually provide 2 options for apply the OTA update:
a) Apply update from ADB
b) Apply update from SD card

option a) is not possible because the Tinker Board Micro USB port is for power-in and cannot connect to a PC at the same time. Tried option b) and received the following error:

Code:
E: unknown volume for path [/sdcard]

-- Couldn't mount /sdcard.
Installation aborted.

Any idea why the stock recovery failed to mount the userdata partition? Hope this can be fixed in recovery so that OTA update for Tinker Board can be one step closer!

PS, there also is an option named "Mount /system" and this one can mount without error, just don't known what purpose of this function because there is no option to nevigate or browse the directory.

Mount /system is used for the traditional device (with adb connection). You can access system partition by the adb connection.
(03-19-2018, 06:31 AM)jamess Wrote: Mount /system is used for the traditional device (with adb connection). You can access system partition by the adb connection.

Correct, that's why I don't understand why provide such an option in the stock recovery. What we really need is "Apply update from SD card" which is currently broken ... Sad

Yes you can use the micro usb as otg. You need to power the TB over the 40p header. Either during boot connect the cable to your pc, or you can let the usb cable connected, then from now and then the TB will not start up but you can start it by jump the solder points beside the hdmi connector.
If you do so, please double check that you feed the right pins and use really stable 5V. With some error you easily can destroy the TB. Also it needs a well connection because at boot sequence the TB takes >2A and it can result in a boot loop if the connection is poor.
I see, so it attempt to look for micro usb in the otg, is it possible to made use of usb flash drive connected to the usb port?

I manage to generate the OTA update.zip but it is too big for putting in /cache, still no luck with it...  tried copy it to /data and saw the little Android green man show up after "adb reboot recovery" but it failed with the following output
Quote:Supported API: 3
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Target:  Android/rk3288/rk3288:6.0.1/MXC89K/root03220008:userdebug/test-keys
E: Error in /data/OTA.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.