This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPDIF no audio output
Due to the poor quality digital/hdmi sound, i thought i would try the SPDIF digital output. No luck there. Pulse audio volume control shows active audio on the spdif output, but there is no light coming out of the spdif jack, or sound when i connect the toslink cable.

Turns out, after reviewing an Asus schematic, i see they have labelled two unused pads between the RJ45 and USB jacks  as spdif/Pwm. And now I have to go on a bit of a rant! Unbelievable! They spec the board as having SPDIF (and the universal way to do this is with a multipurpose 3.5mm audio jack) when, in fact, there is no usable digital audio output except through the hdmi output. 

That's pretty misleading on Asus's  part, and once again pretty disappointed in this board.
Dear bbortnick,

If the S/PDIF can output via audio jack, that is totally two different type connector at HW.
And as our spec, we not said we have S/PDIF at audio jack, we just provide the S/PDIF contact point.
May we know is where or have wrong spec to let you confused and misunderstanding?

BTW, what is audio poor quality did you mean?
Thanks
(01-15-2018, 06:10 AM)Tinker Board Wrote: Dear bbortnick,

If the S/PDIF can output via audio jack, that is totally two different type connector at HW.
And as our spec, we not said we have S/PDIF at audio jack, we just provide the S/PDIF contact point.
May we know is where or have wrong spec to let you confused and misunderstanding?

BTW, what is audio poor quality did you mean?
Thanks
What i have understood its a coaxial spdif. Right? 

I guess the documentation is poor on this matter. Can't find which pins I have to use. Bottom pin to Plus post on RCA and negative on the gpio pins? 

Just guessing.
It's belong which type S/PDIF do you needs.
The Tinker Board's on-board S/PDIF contact pin is data pin, it can used as coaxial(RCA) or Transmitter toslink's data. (same data)
[Image: JvEpfrf.png]
Photo ref: https://www.asus.com/Single-Board-Comput...ker-Board/

HOW CONNECT?
Coaxial(RCA) :
[Image: DHbgw9oUAAAuhB7.jpg]
Photo from: https://twitter.com/ponzu0147/status/898152320378093568

Transmitter Toslink :
The Toslink usually have 3 pins Vin (+3/5V), Vcc (S/PDIF), Gnd (Ground) or some chipper version is 2 pins Vcc (S/PDIF), Gnd (Ground).
Need to check your Toslink jack datasheet to know how to make sure how pin to pin.
[Image: bvY8ZBp.jpg]
http://www.conser.com.tw/manager/upload/...317292.pdf

Or you can just use with the PC's S/PDIF convert card:
[Image: sxI9vQK.jpg]
(01-17-2018, 02:43 AM)Tinker Board Wrote: It's belong which type S/PDIF do you needs.
The Tinker Board's on-board S/PDIF contact pin is data pin, it can used as coaxial(RCA) or Transmitter toslink's data. (same data)
[Image: JvEpfrf.png]
Photo ref: https://www.asus.com/Single-Board-Comput...ker-Board/

HOW CONNECT?
Coaxial(RCA) :
[Image: DHbgw9oUAAAuhB7.jpg]
Photo from: https://twitter.com/ponzu0147/status/898152320378093568

Transmitter Toslink :
The Toslink usually have 3 pins Vin (+3/5V), Vcc (S/PDIF), Gnd (Ground) or some type is 2 pins Vcc (S/PDIF), Gnd (Ground).
Need to check your Toslink jack datasheet to know how to make sure how pin to pin.
[Image: DLT1170A11435355411.jpg]
http://www.conser.com.tw/manager/upload/...317292.pdf

Or you can just use with the PC's S/PDIF convert card:
[Image: sxI9vQK.jpg]

Thanks I will try the coaxial way.... 

BTW I am running Volumio with USB on DAC and its running great. Even on powerbank it's doing its job.
Can anyone who has modded the spdif output comment on the sound quality (compared to the HDMI output) ?
Is it the same or different (my HDMI output is too noisy for quality sound.)
Wink 
the labeling of the board is misleading. the pin labeled pwm is ground. spdif is signal and you can grab 5v off the gpio(for toslink). using a gpio pin as ground does not work. i have this working with kodi and sound quality is great.
Hello everybody,

Having successfully got spdif working, I'll share my experiences with you as it seems there is some trepidation and/or confusion amongst users surrounding this issue.

First I will describe my intended use for the tinker board.

Having a small private studio I wanted a descrete headless music player that can handle spotify, web radio (particularly for iplayer bbc radio 6) and music from my own collection with its own volume knob and 16x2 dot matrix lcd or similar. Using spdif allows me to use my focusrite 18i20 to convert to analogue whilst leaving my instrument inputs free for their intended purpose.

While there is much work yet to do, I can confirm that spdif is working with spotify using the android os.

Rather than soldering cables directly to the board I used a pair of pins akin to the gpio pins soldered to the spdif and pwm points. Although unlike painttoad, I have had no problem using the standard gpio ground and have only populated the pwm contact with a pin so that I may add a small fan later if I feel it necessary, but as yet, no temperature problems.

I was both surprised and delighted that the android os offers spdif as an output option within its audio settings. I selected it, half expecting to be told there were missing dependencies, or would require some root level jiggery-pokery on my part, but no; it jumped into life immediately. I honestly could not be any happier with the result.

I have purchased a chassis mounted phono coupler to prevent straining the connections to the board, I think this will provide an excellent solution once I have built a 1u 19" rack chassis for my project.

It is my intention to create post once my project is complete, with a comprehensive rundown of all steps. In the meantime, I am happy to answer any questions regarding spdif.

What I will add finally for now, is that for anybody new to tinkering with this kind of thing, the only part that may cause some brow sweat, is the soldering itself. Make sure you give the area a good clean with some decent electronics cleaner before starting, try to use a good quality, fine guage, flux cored, solder: Dare I say lead based (gasp). This should make the job a lot less frustrating. Afterwards clean with some flux cleaner as the flux residue can cause corrosion in the long term.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions. Although I'm not available at all times, I will try to check back at least every couple of days.

Happy Tinkering.
I'm keep looking for a answer for my question but I can't find one in any of submited topics. I've installed new drivers from realtek.com but I still have no sound in my PC. I've plugged my laptop with the same speakers to check if the problem is not a speakers, but they work fine. Somethings wrong with the drivers or the PC, I don't know. And my recording devices showing that my Microphone is "Not plugged in", but it is. Maybe someone has a solution for my problem? I've recently reinstalled my windows, but everything else works fine.
Exclamation 
SPDIF pad on Tinker Board is not meant for just connecting an RCA as voltages are far too high. You are likely to destroy your hardware!
See my other post.
/Uwe