This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
initial setup without keyboard and mouse but a laptop with these two components
hey guys

i don't have keyboard so wanted to use my laptop's keyboard and track pad.
     how can i get started without keyboard and mouse for initial setup and is it compulsory to have these components
     please help me
Do you have ethernet cable can plug with Tinker?
If you can let your Tinker get the network and with your laptop in the same local network.
You can use SSH to get the remote console with the keyboard.

by
Code:
ssh linaro@tinkerboard.local
password linaro
(01-12-2018, 09:23 AM)frankwu100 Wrote: Do you have ethernet cable can plug with Tinker?
If you can let your Tinker get the network and with your laptop in the same local network.
You can use SSH to get the remote console with the keyboard.

by
Code:
ssh linaro@tinkerboard.local
password linaro

If you can do it with a cellphone, you should be able to do it with a laptop connected to a router.  You must have an input and output device.
Install the TinkerOS then use SSH with laptop to get to the commandline.  Setup VNC to control the ATB from the laptop.
Please post your results here.

https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-927.html

No wireless? You will need an input/output device. No way around it.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0071...h+keyboard
Would something like those mini keyboards do for this btw?
I started with the hope that was possible to use TB headless, but I got to find keyboard and screen to get started. Perhaps it was something unknown by my side, but to get it done I had to see on the monitor and enable the wireless connection. Then later was possible to login via SSH.
By ethernet wasn't possible because, there's no DHCP server on TinkerOS, just installed.

But one think is missing to say here, what OS did you install ?
DietPi and Armbian have a tesxt file to be prepared for a SSH login. But even that I missed something in the first place and I couldn't get SSH connection.
(08-13-2018, 02:59 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: I started with the hope that was possible to use TB headless, but I got to find keyboard and screen to get started. Perhaps it was something unknown by my side, but to get it done I had to see on the monitor and enable the wireless connection. Then later was possible to login via SSH.
By ethernet wasn't possible because, there's no DHCP server on TinkerOS, just installed.

But one think is missing to say here, what OS did you install ?
DietPi and Armbian have a tesxt file to be prepared for a SSH login. But even that I missed something in the first place and I couldn't get SSH connection.

I did an SSH connection with my cellphone with TinkerboardOS and network cable.  My cellphone became my monitor and keyboard.
I installed TBos many times and internet was automatic with a cable. You can't do it with wireless.

Maybe, if they put a script in the TinkerboardOS file that when installed and boots has a wireless automatic connection using a SID maybe called linaro.
Then you only have to do is change your router's SID to linaro. Then simply boot and automatic wireless connected.
After, just edit what is needed using SSH and change your router back to what it was. So, security is enabled back the way it was and reboot.
And turn all devices off during the headless tinkerboard setup.

I think that is a good idea for those who want to do headless. Mikerr could do this.
What you think?
The chance to start headless (no keyboard/screen) it's to have access from SSH via ethernet connection or to have TB as hotspot.
Both cases should configure a DHCP server, so the client just ask for a lease and connect via SSH.
I didn't find that for the first installation, then I excluded the possibility from TinkerOS.

About DietPI and Armbian there's a file to configure, but it's rather a security threat to set plain password to access the AP. Also the developers didn't highlight this fact and I faced a cumbersome way to get started.

My opinion would suggest to set a DHCP server, so would be the simplest way for makers to get hands on to the TB headless. To set it as AP, then it needs to add hostapd, but i suppose it's already included.
(01-12-2018, 09:17 AM)charan98 Wrote: hey guys

i don't have keyboard so wanted to use my laptop's keyboard and track pad.
     how can i get started without keyboard and mouse for initial setup and is it compulsory to have these components
     please help me

if you want to try something simple to see what the device does, you can use dnsmasq, which is a simple DNS and DHCP server. Install with sudo apt-get install dnsmasq . If this also activates and starts the server, you must stop and disable it. If, for example, your device is on your eth2 ethernet interface and you have configured sudo ifconfig eth2 192.168.9.1 to set the IP address of the interface, you can try/: sudo dnsmasq -d -C /dev/null --port=0 --domain=localdomain --interface=eth2 --dhcp-range=192.168.9.2,192.168.168.9.10,99h, you could also consult installation guides to get more information about all this.
With a laptop help the easiest way it would use an adapter to connect the GPIO to UART3 for TinkerOS (aka linaro).
Without the adapter it would require more knowledge to setup a DHCP server on the laptop.
Just search across my posts and there are explanation how to accomplish that.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin