This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Best fan for cooling, 12,- € RE: CPU temperature
Good evening,
I tried several heat sinks and fans.
The by far best solution that I found was this fan:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NEMG...UTF8&psc=1

It is nearly unhearable!
And the cooling results are by far better than with a heat sink.

It fits exactly between 2 slots in the case cover and is fitted with rubber pins instead of screws.
So no vibration is transferred to the case.
And this for just 12,- €

Addendum, 12-31-2018
Good evening.
Today I (at the end of the year) looked at all threads and posts I left in the tinkerboardforum.er to upload them, but I forgot to do so.

So I found my posting to the best fan I could get for the Tinker again.

At that time I promised to upload pictures, but I forgot to do so.

I want to do that today.
The case is such a 5,- € part for the Raspberry Pi.

Since I stepped on the lid, I had to saw one out of wood.
On a picture you can see the mounting with rubber buffers, which don't transfer resonance to the case.
On the other picture the power supply, which I realized with the pin strip.
The original thread is
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/threa...waldmattis

Happy 2019 to all of you!
Karl

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
(01-14-2018, 06:30 PM)waldmattis Wrote: Good evening,

It is nearly unhearable!

It fits exactly between 2 slots in the case cover and is fitted with rubber pins instead of screws.
And this for just 12,- €

Can u please post a picture of the Tinkerboard with the fan ?
(01-14-2018, 07:34 PM)pebauer68 Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 06:30 PM)waldmattis Wrote: Good evening,

It is nearly unhearable!

And this for just 12,- €

Can u please post a picture of the Tinkerboard with the fan ?
yes, i will do this tomorrow
I agree.
But I‘m using the heatsink + fan.

[Image: FBC02638_80_CB_4947_BFA6_233_D2_A574_C5_D.jpg]
fan is do noise and stole needed power from board I put cooler from old pc cpu and temp is 25-45 celsius
@reee
On the 3.3V or the 5V pins?
You nearly can't hear the fan with 3.3V unless it's close to your head.

Update:

Modified the case, it might not be that beautiful but works like expected  Tongue

[Image: IMG_0402.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0404.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0407.jpg]
Interesting! I got my TB just recently (2days ago?) and was quite terrified by the default heating problem.

Today I got a cheap very similar (same? another copy?) case as this one that someone else posted,
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/attac...php?aid=55

Except the fan included with it is ~ 2cm and awfuly noisy at 5v and i can't even stand it at 3.3v. I have two 3cm fans for RPi's i got too... I had an overheating problem with my Pi 3 (but not TB bad?) when i got it. Later i replaced the Pi2 (or 3) heatsinks useless adhesive i tried with thermal paste (is that the correct term in english?)  and since that it doesn't seem that bad but i only started using it again more recently and for now, for what it runs i don't think it the CPU must be intensively used. Anyway anyway... (As i'll run what that Pi 3 does on something else, i'll see again/later/soon what's the status with that, if i can use that Pi 3 for something else i have planned or if i should use my old Pi 2 instead. Or wait for a Pi 3B+ later... But... Anyway!)

I salvaged quickly some heatsinks etc today from stuff that wasn't thrown away yet and replaced the default heatsink by an old copper one. Testing with the 3cm fan at 3.3v instead of 5v it's silent enough (it didn't bother me at least and It's been a long time i can't stand any PC fan noise, so it seemed ok...)
The temperatures with that fan seemed decent, nothing to worry about. But i don't have any way to fix it to the acrylic case. I don't know these acrylic case/stuff, it seems very fragile, i don't really have anything handy to cut more holes appropriately and i'm afraid it'd break if i try something.

i thought about testing the TB in the same offical RPI3 case too, more air flow could help, i guess i'll try later as i'll use that RPI3 in something else anyway (that other thing/project i mentionned)... It seemed easier to fix a fan on top of it or like you did to its cover also... I would do the same but again, i could in theory cut holes/etc and fix a fan to the cover but i can't 'really' do that these days... / for now.

Tonight, i tested and did some benchmarks using one 12v "BeQuiet" 8cm case fan on 5v, i had some plastic part of an old CPU big heatsink/fan contraption. The fan clips into this square thing (that used to old a gigantic heatsink), and the whole thing more or less clips on top that silly acrylic case. Smile

It's ugly but for now it works. A bit too well... The fan system seems so much disproportionate/bigger than the whole TB/case but... The fan turns slowly enough to not be too much bothering (except i feel some cold air from it and it's already cold here! haha). The CPU is 31/33°C idle and after a 10min sysbench test cpu max prime 4thread 100% CPU, the TB was at 56°c and i was doing more tests / rather intensive stuff and other sysbench's before that. It's probably really overkill and surely ugly (in some way.) The temperature goes back to a low one very fast. But i also would rather avoid to power a fan at 5v on the TB i could still power it from a hub tho...)

Another thing i got is an aluminium Pi 3 case, i'll test it quickly with the TB some day, except without fan.. and i won't use this one with the TB in the end anyway - it's meant to hold a specific display, etc.

But i wonder, are some of the full aluminium cases like the Akasa one really effective without fan? I would put 30euro on it (expensive for a case i know! i'm silly) but i also doubt it would be enough too cool it decently...

I will still do some tests with the RPi3 case but i'm really not fond of fans... except if they're totally totally silent.

But again... i'll that a look at that fan and other ones like it. I used to buy some BeQuiet ones for instance and i was happy with the latest ones i got for a silent/near silent PC build, the fans runs at half speed...

From what i salvaged i also have some metalic piece, part of another old cpu heatsink+fan that clips really neatly/tight on that acrylic case till the botton of the case, two metal piece "holding" the case on both sides, i'd surely need to replace the fan, it's a 6cm one. Maybe it'd be less of a frankenstein's monster...

Hm, sorry for the text wall, too much sleep deprivation and i guess i should have waited to post pics, it would have been simpler (especially as english is not my native language, so for descriptions...

If you have a way/idea about the RPi3 case/fan to do something like that without not many tools (that i don't have access to for now)... just in case Smile

Ok, sorry again, time to catch up some on missing sleep.
Welp, turned out that transparent acrylic case was rubbish indeed... I noticed initially that it was getting super hot under the case without even a big work load as the board was really pressed against the bottom plate.

I tried the TB in another case (made for a Pi2 that i discarded at the time when i tried it wih the Pi3. One plastic black case i had to cut parts inside for the Pi 3. Then i got the official RPi3 case and added the thermal paste + heatsink and it wasn't overheating anymore.)

This case has also many little holes in the bottom plate and the TB isn't pressed to it.

So... in the end, with my 30mm fan at 3.3v (silent) pressed & temporarily secured against this heatsink i use which is 30mm X 30mm too, it's all OK apparently.

To summarize, same silly CPU+GPU stress tests as before + same long 100% CPU 4threads sysbench test and the TB doesn't reach 60°c. Back to idle/idle-ish (on xorg/xfce) it's cooled back to around 33-37°c...

I'll see later to secure/fix the fan to the case top plate (when i can cut it)... and go on to work on the stuff i want to, now.

(Sorry about the big rambling before, i hadn't slept in way more than 30 hours...)
Good evening.
Today I (at the end of the year) looked at all threads and posts I left in the tinkerboardforum.er to upload them, but I forgot to do so.

So I found my posting to the best fan I could get for the Tinker again.

At that time I promised to upload pictures, but I forgot to do so.

I want to do that today.
The case is such a 5,- € part for the Raspberry Pi.
Since I stepped on the lid, I had to saw one out of wood.
On a picture you can see the mounting with rubber buffers, which don't transfer resonance to the case.
On the other picture the power supply, which I realized with the pin strip.
The original thread is
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/threa...waldmattis

Happy 2019 to all of you!
Karl

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator